The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have only Anubias Nana Petite and Willow Moss in my tank, with a few other mosses, hydrocotyle tripartita, and another 2 Anubias Nana Petite also on the way. I don't want to run CO2 permanently with my plan to make it a Tiger Shrimp tank. I was thinking of possibly doing a DIY CO2 system for a few months until I get a good start on the growth, and until I get everybody planted. Is it going to hurt the plants having the CO2 taken away? Is it worth doing CO2 for a few months? Or should I just go with Excel and keep doing excel with the shrimp?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I would not suggest DIY co2 for shrimp because DIY is hard to regulate. But, if you wanted to do co2 injection you can, and still continue it with your shrimp. I would not suggest that you invest the money into a co2 setup for only a few month though, but if you wanted to continue with co2 injection and if done properly you will get good results.

As for starting co2 then stopping, you can do this with our much adverse reaction to your plants, they will not grow nearly as fast or have as good of color as they will with co2. Another problem you may run into if you only use co2 for a few months would be algae issues, a lot of algae issues in high tech aquariums come from co2 fluctuation.

As for using excel, I have read that excel is hard on shrimp, and can cause death in several varieties if you use too much of it, so I would not suggest using excel for shrimp.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.