The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Recently, we have at the joy of our central air system not working. And of course, it is the time this would happen where it's extremely hot and humid in our area lately. Around 90 at least most of the time. My tank is around 85 degrees right now and I'm not sure what to do about it. Normally, this wouldn't concern me much, but my tank happens to be a species only tank and that species is White Clouds who are cold-water fish. The tank is normally around 70-73. We don't know when the AC will be fixed. Someone will be out Friday to determine the problem, not necessarily even fix it. Until then, I feel I may be stuck like this and I'm quite worried either some or all might not make it. Any advice?

I thought about taking a bunch of ice cubes and putting them in ziplock bags to try cool down the tank a bit, but I am also worried about drastic temperature changes.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Hello all. Recently, we have at the joy of our central air system not working. And of course, it is the time this would happen where it's extremely hot and humid in our area lately. Around 90 at least most of the time. My tank is around 85 degrees right now and I'm not sure what to do about it. Normally, this wouldn't concern me much, but my tank happens to be a species only tank and that species is White Clouds who are cold-water fish. The tank is normally around 70-73. We don't know when the AC will be fixed. Someone will be out Friday to determine the problem, not necessarily even fix it. Until then, I feel I may be stuck like this and I'm quite worried either some or all might not make it. Any advice?

I thought about taking a bunch of ice cubes and putting them in ziplock bags to try cool down the tank a bit, but I am also worried about drastic temperature changes.
Anyway to set up a couple smaller desk/ computer fans to blow across the surface? This helps my tanks lower the temps about 7-10 degrees safely. Evap goes through the roof though so be aware of that if you choose this method.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Any chance there is a nearby window that you could stick a window unit AC in? There are also portable air conditioners, but I seem to recall decent ones being pretty pricey and still requiring venting.

Either option would involve spending some money but could be worth it for the fish and comfort of your family depending how long the fix will take.

·
Super Moderator
17,165 Posts
You can get a decent window unit for $200ish.

But fans are cheaper and will cool your tank down. Won't be an exceptional amount because of humidity but I'm guessing 4-5 degrees at minimum. That's about what I get in the summer when I use fans on my shrimp tanks.

Ice cubes probably won't cool things down as fast as you think. Just be sure to use Prime when you make them so any leaks in the bags you use aren't troublesome. Can be frozen again and reused.

Ice + fan = win.

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
Tops off, use fans and move your lights away from the surface for the time being. Even LEDs can really heat up water when directly over the aquarium. I would normally advise against ice baggies for cooling, but white clouds at 85 must be miserable. Hope you get your central air back soon!

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I think I will try taking off the tops. Ugh. I normally like to keep the new water I put into the tank around the same temp as the tank water. But... That wouldn't help obviously lol What is the lowest temp I could go without shocking them or stressing them too much?

Another bummer is that I can't even find more of them really if I lose some because there is only one LFS around me that carries the Golden White Cloud Mountain Minnows that are stocked in my tank. :confused: WCMM are hardy enough however that they might just make it through this. It might be alright considering it has only been a few days. Now if it was weeks on end, I don't think they would make it.

Thanks! We do too! Everyone in our house is quite miserable... Including the fish I'm sure lol

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
If you can get the fan/fans to blow across the top of the water it will work much better . I use 80 to 120 mm pc fans to keep my LEDs cool inside the canopies and if I take the tops off the tanks they will cool the water some too . And I have heard of folks using old milk jugs and freezing water in them and floating them in the tank . You just have to watch how fast the temp changes .

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
A couple of other thoughts:

- At that temperature, O2 and NH3 could be a problem. If you can, get as much surface rippling as possible, without breaking the surface, to maximize gas exchange (will also help with evaporation). If you pH is over 7.0, free ammonia becomes increasingly dangerous as temperature rises. Also, if you have pressurized CO2, turn it off to relieve the stress on the fish.

- About 10-15 years ago, I had a similar problem in my 29-gal. I froze a 1-gallon bottle of distilled water (keep the lid off while freezing), removed enough tank water to allow for the displacement, and placed the bottle in the tank. As I recall, I was able to gradually move the temp around nicely, but I had to monitor it to avoid shocking the fish. I don't recall the details of how I did this, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.