The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing research on possibly keeping some white cloud minnows in an unheated 29 or 38 gallon tank with a three spot gourami and maybe a school of cory cats if there's room and I can find a species that would do well with the temperatures, and I wanted to make sure all of these species could tolerate the temperature range. The information I've seen online says three spots can, but it's just past the edge of the listed range for white clouds. In winter it gets 65 in the house at the lowest, but I want to say 62 just in case, but in the summer it can get up to 78, briefly it might get higher if the AC isn't running. Could these fish live in a 62-78 degree range, if I possibly put frozen water bottles or a fan in for them during the worst of the summer to keep it out of the 80s? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not use a heater? Stressing fish by making them "tolerate" unnecessary temp swings isn't going to make caring for them easier.
I could use a heater and just choose more high temperature fish if these temperatures are too extreme, but it's the heat more than the cold I was worried about. The temperature swings wouldn't be sudden or drastic at the time, so I was wondering if it would be acceptable transitions like what they'd see in nature, or if it would be too much and just stress them out and I should look at different species and just go for a higher temperature tank.

I could use a heater and just choose more high temperature fish if these temperatures are too extreme, but it's the heat more than the cold I was worried about. The temperature swings wouldn't be sudden or drastic at the time, so I was wondering if it would be acceptable transitions like what they'd see in nature, or if it would be too much and just stress them out and I should look at different species and just go for a higher temperature tank.
I wasn't sure if it would cross the line between giving them some variety and maybe some kind of cycle of seasons or if it would just be stressful for them. I'm more used to terrestrial animals than fish.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Might work, might not. Those fish have way different temperature needs. Personally I wouldn't keep them together.
If you want some tankmates for the minnows, you could try medaka? 🙂

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wasn't sure if it would cross the line between giving them some variety and maybe some kind of cycle of seasons or if it would just be stressful for them. I'm more used to terrestrial animals than fish.
Terrestrial animals are adapted to both diurnal and seasonal temperature swings in ways that many fish species are not.
FWIW, Corydoras species have different temperature preferences between species. C. sterbai wouldn't appreciate the low temps you mention (neither would the gourami), while C. panda would but wouldn't fare as well at the high end.

If a person wanted to mimic seasonal variation in temps for those fish species that might benefit from it (I don't keep gouramis, but I suspect that their native environment has pretty stable temps seasonally, though water quality and parameters might fluctuate due to influxes of heavy rain), there are technological means to doing that. Outside of those controlled and goal-driven cases, though, stability in temps and other parameters is important.

Also, a 29g is on the small side for a three spot gourami.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts