The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 150 gallon tank w/ 400 watts of light (5 x 80), which I run 8 hours a day (3 on, 7 off, and 5 on). The tank temperature will go from 79 to 82 or 83 with the lights on.

Question 1 - Will this change in temp hurt the fish (red line torpedoes, rummies, and cardinals)?

Question 2 - Is there anything I can do about the temp change?

·
Registered
316 Posts
If it is up that far and you are already running fans then you may want to consider using a chiller. That has to be a lot of heat.

I see you are in Oregon. Do you have AC on in the room by any chance? What is the ambient room temp?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes on the AC - we do keep it at about 72 degrees (can't stand a hot house). I was considering turning the tank back to 240w (at least during the summer). One ballast is wired for 2 x 80 and the other for 3 x 80 - easy to switch to 240. I think most of the plants will do fine with less light - they may lose some pink / red color, but they should grow fine. Will also likely need to adjust Co2 w/ lower light. Ideas?

·
Registered
563 Posts
personally i dont think a 2 to 3 degree change in temp is anything to worry about. It is a gradual change im sure, and thats whats really important. 82 might be a little on the high side for my preference, but the change from 79 to 82 isnt something i would worry about.

·
Registered
743 Posts
fan , air stone ,chiller is nice but pricy and could bump your electric bill up .! depend if your plants and fish could handle 82-83 or not . as iam learning to this plants keeper aquarium i cant tell you much , but i been keep african cichlids malawi for a while now .they can handle the hight temp really good , last week when it so hot here , my tank temp bump up to about 84. just like when my fish got ick , i bump the temp up to 86-88 with the air stone , they lived. IMO 82 is not somethings we need to worried about !

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
/\ /\ Good idea - I could raise them up a couple of inches. They are about 7 or 8 inches off the water now. I think I will lower the lights to 240 for a couple of days and see how the tank responds.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I turned it back to 240W and the temp has stabilized at 79. The plants seem to be doing fine under less light - still balancing the Co2 and ferts w/ the lower WPG.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a discus tank that has Rummynose and cardinal's in it and I keep it at 84-86F all the time...so your tetras are safe, and im sure the temp swing is gradual so i wouldnt see a problem with it if your plants/fish are thriving.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts