The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help me find an inexpensive power outlet with a external temperature probe and digital readout that only powers the outlet when the temperature falls below a near room temperature that I will preset.
I know such devices are integrated and used to turn on attic fans to keep your crawl space from getting too hot in the summer, but I need something simple and modular like a cheap lamp or appliance time clock.
I have a fish tank and when the water gets too warm I want to turn on a fan that blows over the water and cools it down very effectively, but then turns off when the temperature reaches a certain level.
whatever you find, please provide a link to a reseller or manufacturer.

so far, I found this analog item used for reptiles, but this item goes OFF (for a warming heater) above a set temperature, while I want it to go ON (for a cooling fan) above a set temperature.

$30

a marine water chiller controller would work, but they are over-spec'ed and ridiculously overpriced.

$100

·
Registered
706 Posts
all the second one is is a rebadged ranco temp controller they are used mainly by home brewers to control tank temps. i made a couple myself by slicking and wiring an extension cord. you can get them premade on e-bay (search for ranco temp control), but they are not cheap. remember you get what you pay for. if your on a budget, the reptile one may be the one to use. you dont need to be that accurate if you controlling only a fan.

·
Registered
362 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts