The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else ever had this issue. Several months ago I noticed that my 125 gallon medium planted aquarium was warmer than usual. I checked my heaters found they were set at my regular 78 degrees but the thermometers both read 80 or 80 plus degrees. I decided to upgrade and purchased 2 new Hydor 300 watt heaters installed them waited a while and the temp was still 80 - 80.9 degrees. I wrote to Hydor and to their credit after sending in info on both heaters they replaced them both free of charge. I also purchased a digital thermometer in case this was the problem - still higher temp. Yesterday I did a nearly 50% water change and the water showed 77.8 degrees and I felt I was back on track but this morning I checked and the digital thermometer is reading 80.9 degrees. What could be causing the tank to remain so hot even though the heaters are set to 77 - 75 degrees??? Thanks to all responding members! :smile2:

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I would recommend using a heater controller. I have them on all but one tank and that one will have one soon. You get a much more precise temperature control and digital thermometer in one unit. Some controllers have audible alarms as well to warn you of over/under temps. My 75G has 2 250 watt aqueon pro on one controller so both units kick on and off at the same time. I have two finnex controllers, a max 300 and and hc810. I also have two home built controller units.

·
Registered
92 Posts
For me my lights do most of the needed heating, only at night when windows are open and it's cold outside the heaters kick in.
I've set them all at about 22/23Celsius and in the day the water can reach up to 24,8 depending on the temp in the house.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
A lot of heaters and thermometers can read within +/- 2*F of actual temps (says degree of accuracy on package).

I still can't say which of your equipment is reading the most inaccurate (thermometers or heaters).

For what it's worth, I've heard digital thermometers usually are more inaccurate than liquid thermometers.

Remember circulation comes into play. And heaters can heat the water a degree or two more than set to, so that way they don't have to constantly stay/turn on every instance the temp drops slightly below the set temp.

Are you hooking up the heaters to a individual external heater controller/thermostat?

But as pointed out, there can be other sources of generated heat (such as lighting). Try watching/listening (Hydor clicks) if the heaters remain on past the set temp.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Check to see if the heaters are on first, sometimes lights + filters produce enough heat to get the tank to 78+ on their own.

Otherwise its pretty normal, the thermostats inside the heaters have to be a little aggressive because the temperature inside or right next to the heater will always be warmer than the overall tank depending on how much flow there is.

I've found that heaters in a sump consistently run 2-4f hot because flow is so high.

·
Registered
110 Posts
have you checked your equipments? MOst of the time when electrical equipments start to fail, they tend to overheat. Do you use any generic/cheap pumps, they usually use higher watts which emits more heat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.