The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If these are the only options, am I right that 63 is better for shrimp than 76 is?

Also, and only a secondary question for the next 6-7 months, at what point should I say it is too cool and go ahead and heat the tanks?

If it matters, and I don't assume it does, these are bloody marys.

I'm moving a couple of small tanks of shrimp to my basement, which stays pretty cool, and I'm trying to decide whether to heat them. I have been letting them ride at room temp upstairs, which stays around 67 during the winter (summer is going to be warmer). The basement seems to be staying around 63 right now. That seems a little on the cool side, but the only heaters I have for the small tanks are the little preset ones that keep the temp around 76-8. So which extreme is likely to be better for them?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
My blue diamond neos were dying on me at around 60-63f, so I eventually gave in and added a heater that raises the temperature to around 74f.
In my experience I would say that the higher temperature is better, but your results may vary. I've heard of breeders keeping neos in tanks as cold as 60f with no issues.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm testing the heater in the basement to see what temp it maintains there. At last check it was 73 and still on. If it doesn't get too much higher I'll consider heating.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I've read that the neos breed less and grow slower in cooler temps, so if you want faster breeding and growing, the higher temps (mid-low to mid-high 70's) would be recommended.

I keep my RCS (couple of yellows and maybe a handful of bloody marys, too?) breeding tank at around 76° F or so. (digital thermometer reads 76, mercury reads 78) The oldest babies should be around a month old now.

I think the warmest water they've been in was 81° F, in a different tank. They survive well enough in the other tank, and breed, but babies don't make it. (not entirely sure why, hence having a breeding tank/grow-out tank) Temp is currently down to 78° and contains mostly males. (stole the majority of the females for the breeding tank! :hihi:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.