The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a few heater controllers on ebay for about $10 each. I went this route vs other well known controllers like Inkbird due to the significant savings. I may be sending them back though as it appears I cannot get power working through them. They plug in fine and power on with an adapter but I can get no power to the heater when it is plugged in.

Does anyone have experience with heater controllers like this? Or are you able to read Chinese?!? :) When initially plugging them in the left number was higher than the right but I cannot recall exactly what the setting was. I assumed left was the high number, right was the low number and middle is the current temp. I've tried both ways though and cannot get power through the device to a heater.

I can only suspect maybe it's the voltage change but thought it would work since they provided an adapter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I think you will be doing yourself a favor and sending those back to the shipper.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I dont know anything about that particular unit. But my best guess is its set to turn something on at 26 degrees and off again at 28 degrees while its currently reading 19 degrees. If that assumption is correct, then it shouldnt allow whatever is plugged into it to turn on until the temp is above 26 but below 28 (at least at its current setting). I've wired up some other style of temp controllers (also asian stuff) and tested using two buckets; one with really hot water and the other really cold. I plugged a lamp into the temp controller and swapped the temp probe from the hot to cold bucket to test how it was working. A little trial and error eventually got it figured out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried both ways mentioned and nothing clicks on. I have 3 of these units and they all power on, just no power despite whatever I try. There are also F1, F3 and F3 settings which I also tried without success. I gave google translate a try with a PDF of the directions but it only gives me gibberish back in English when selecting Chinese as the language.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I think the first problem maybe figuring out how to set the electric settings but thats a guess. Do you have a link to the manual in chinese?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No link. Just the paper. I wanted to try them out as it was only $30 for 3 of them. If I tried to pick just one up on amazon it would run me $30-$40. If I had unlimited resources I wouldn't go with a cheap product :). If you'd like to invest in some controllers for me just let me know!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I can relate. Sometimes going the cheap route costs more in the long run. I was looking earlier for the manuals so I could copy and paste into babelfish. I'm thinking the power options are select-able or something. I have another idea. Do you have any chinese restaurants? Go to one and sit to eat, if you have a significant other take them along to up the ante a bit, and ask the staff if they will help you translate. You might be surprised. I wouldnt hesitate to try and you may find they are thrilled to help you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a great idea. I unfortunately couldn't copy from the pdf. Google would recognize it but give me back garbage. It may cost more but if it's from a reputable seller I'll typically take the chance.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
That's a great idea. I unfortunately couldn't copy from the pdf. Google would recognize it but give me back garbage. It may cost more but if it's from a reputable seller I'll typically take the chance.
Can you send me the pdf?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I can help translate too if you need. The buttons on the left should be the target temperature and the one on the left is the 'switch on' temperature

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I mailed you the pdf lethal. The ebay seller responded but directions are a little hard to follow. It does have a red light over the left number and green light over the right number. The seller had mentioned when the green light is on I should have power but even with it on I have not been able to power any devices.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been trying those directions. Thanks for looking them up, it appears very similar. From what I read in heater mode the left number is the start, right number stop and middle number current temp. I've tried a battery pack that lights up LEDs when charging and a lamp so far in addition to heaters when I first received the units.

Just now I plugged in the lamp turned the start/left number to 28 and right/stop number to 30. The start number has a red LED above it that is on initially. When I put my hand on the probe and bring the temperature above 30 the green LED turns on above the stop number. I hear no click and the lamp never turns on. I was hoping maybe it would turn on after the temperature dropped below 28 but it did not. The LED turned red again and temp currently sits at 22 degrees. If I understand correctly it should be on between 28-30 degrees and allow power to pass through the unit.

I've tried all 3 units and didn't have any luck. The only thing I can figure is that it only runs 220v devices? Which doesn't make sense to me as it was mailed with an adapter to plug into a US socket. I'm going to go over all 3 again to be sure none are turning on. Not sure what else I can do. Thank you all for the help. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
I just translated and sent back the manual and think you got the right idea. But I am pretty sure it's a voltage issue. It needs 220v to work. Try it with a transformer.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not that I see. The only thing I can guess is that it's a 220v product and I'm plugging 110v devices into it. I had thought since they provided an adapter and it powered on it would work accordingly but perhaps it only accepts devices that are 220v. It just seems odd as it is shaped to receive numerous plug types. I wouldn't have thought it would be the issue.

·
Registered
13,080 Posts
Not that I see. The only thing I can guess is that it's a 220v product and I'm plugging 110v devices into it. I had thought since they provided an adapter and it powered on it would work accordingly but perhaps it only accepts devices that are 220v. It just seems odd as it is shaped to receive numerous plug types. I wouldn't have thought it would be the issue.
Yea I wouldn't really think that either. Simple "pass through" relay and the circuitry handles the 110 just fine (led ect..)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Why don't you ask the manufacturer whether it works with 110v? Also it might help if you show us a picture of the adapter

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Do you have a multimeter or any way to run some tests on this thing?

Pretty sure this is the same item below. Poorly translated instructions; which seems to be what you say you've tried.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Custom-SM3-smart-thermostat-temperature-controller-switch-socket-load-1000-Watt-0-99-DEG-C-temperature/32617890042.html

Operation method

Because there are two kinds of heating and cooling demand, so the thermostat we have "hot start" and "cold start" two kinds of mode of operation.

1.High temperature start"When the start temperature is greater than the" stop temperature "," high temperature thermostat in the start state. For example: a "stop" temperature is 20 ~ C, the start temperature is 30 DEG C, then when the measured temperature reaches 30 DEG C, open the machine, the operation indicator light (green) light, the power supply socket. When the measured temperature dropped to 20 degrees C, shut down the machine, the standby indicator light (red light), the power socket. This starting method is mainly used for cooling, such as open air conditioning exhaust fan, etc..
ThreeLow temperature start"When the start temperature is less than the" stop temperature ", the thermostat in" cold start ". For example: a "stop" temperature is 30 ~ C, the start temperature is 20 DEG C, then when the measured temperature reaches 20 DEG C, open the machine, the operation indicator light (green) light, the power supply socket. When the measured temperature rises to 30 degrees C, shut down the machine, the standby indicator light (red light), the power socket. This starting method is mainly used for heating.

Set the memory function: the thermostat will set your storage time, ensure the power settings will not be lost, without additional settings.

and another site with it here has some additional info in the instructions (again poor translation); but it seems to imply that there could be a heating mode (and then possibly a cooling mode) where the unit will cut power once the set temp is reached.

2016 Luck Sm3 Temperature Controller Pet Temperature Controlled Switch Socket Fish Tank Incubator Temperature Switch From Wu988jianjun, $73.01 | Dhgate.Com Also some reference to it being high powered and something about the "earth wire". Makes me wonder if its looking for a ground and maybe you dont have a good ground?

pro : we have the car thermostat and we can timer combination clock thermostat , which the expansion of your thermostat phenylketonuric application range !

product features :

1 . can according to you to set temperature automatic open and close various electrical equipment power supply , especially in for boiler , floorherting , superconducting radiator and water heater , electric heating membrane , electric heating cable floor electric heating , , electric heating painting sultable , electric heating electric heating insulation and thawing , incubator hot and cold , ventilation fan cerevisia , aquaculture , fermentation , seeds vernalize as automatic temperature control .

2 . can according to your need in 3 & mdash . mdash & . 90 & deg . c arbitrary device temperature and stop temperature , automatic open and close various heated or cooling equipment power supply .

3 . real temperature , starter temperature , stop expansivity group temperature at the same time digital , reading the intuitionistic , simple operation .

4 . use magnetic or waterproof sex of the new type of temperature sensor , sensitive reaction , high precision , sensor can according to customer required , does not affect precision

5 . easy to install , don't , floorherting , lumbing heating pipe and line , can easily and metal pipes
6 . adopt american micro computer chip , high integration , digital programming , control precise , antijamming

protection function :

1 . anti-icer : function when the boiler water drop to 3 degrees below , circulation pump forced start , frozen prevent bad pipes .
2 . over temperature alarm function : such as the system cycle water temperature more than 90 , thermostat digital tube flicker and send hoosiers , prompt user timely handle .

operation method

due to have heated and cooling two kinds of demand , therefore our thermostat also have & ldquo . start & high temperature rdquo . and & ldquo . low temperature starting & rdquo . two way .

1 . start high temperature : & ldquo . when the starting temperature & rdquo . greater than & ldquo . stop temperature & rdquo . when , thermostat in the & ldquo . start & high temperature rdquo . state . such as : set & ldquo . stop temperature & rdquo . for 20 & deg . c , & ldquo . start temperature & rdquo . for 30 & deg . c , the measred then when the temperature achieves 30 & deg . c when , machine to open the , operation indicator lamp ( green bright ) , of the indemnifiable socket supply power the measred when temperature 20 & deg . c when , machine closed , standby indicator lamp ( red light bright ) , of the indemnifiable socket cut this is mainly used for starting mode to cool , open air conditioning , paiqishan etc .
3 . low temperature starting : & ldquo . when the starting temperature & rdquo . less than & ldquo . stop temperature & rdquo . when , thermostat in the & ldquo . low temperature starting & rdquo . state . such as : set & ldquo . stop temperature & rdquo . for 30 & deg . c , & ldquo . start temperature & rdquo . for 20 & deg . c , the measred then when the temperature achieves 20 & deg . c when , machine to open the , operation indicator lamp ( green bright ) , of the indemnifiable socket supply power when to the measred 30 & deg . c when , machine closed , standby indicator lamp ( red light bright ) , of the indemnifiable socket cut this is mainly used for starting mode heated .

Memory function : settings thermostat 'll store your settings , ensure the power is not lost settings , dynamo charging instated .

warm tip : if you like this paragraph thermostat , but you need control equipment power greater than 800 tile , so your thermostat with a us power expansion module can control 3000 tile below heated : equipment

you also can use ac contactor to capitalise high power appliances . ac contactor with thermostat combination of the wiring can environmental : chart

about accuracy temperature :

many pro buy our thermostat after , like home or others thermometer to check our thermometer accuracy . due to the supermajority family thermometer take no periodically remedical metering , therefore , simply can not as standard econometrics utensils us to identify thermostat the accuracy !

other , some pro though we put the thermometer and temperature controller probe placed a insulation the box inside detection , but as the boxes 's itself won't uniform , led to look great difference between .

suggest to do do pro following test : put in your probe clip armpits for awhile , because of the adult normal temperature is 36 to 37 degrees , us thermostat largest error is the positive and negative 1 degrees , therefore , as long as our at this time temperature controller measuring temperature in 35 - 38 between , so 'll can think our thermostat temperature measurement is normal .

mattersneeding attention
1 . will be this instrument installed in dryeration counter
2 . will be this controller installed in the child not touch place
3 . can't thyself open this machine , with fault to dealers with this company connection

4 . book machine for do not have the boiler safety protection function , can't water-sprayed , noretry . close to the fires

5 . emplace please in child reach place !

special tips : when the products in the hot mode , often used & ldquo . electric heater & rdquo . heated , when heated reaching the set temperature , product immediately cut off & ldquo . electric heater & rdquo . power supply . but due & ldquo . electric heater & rdquo . power-off won't immediately after cooling , but continue to be hot issued , display products such temperature will continue , than setting in high temperature 1 - 2 degree only after decline , the normal phenomenon , client can through adjust temperature sensor position correct the .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.