The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so a lot of us nano guys have DIY C02 running. as a resource to myself and others, how bout posting YOUR setup. include as much detail as possible. be sure to include tank size too! try and limit to one post in this thread as to keep it more informative rather than a discussion.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i guess no one has c02 in their nanos. personally im running 1c sugar, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/8 tsp breadmachine yeast, in a 1 quart container. its diffused by an airstone (doesnt do hardly anything that i can see). the tank is a 2 gal planted with 4 danios and 10 shrimp. running for 24 hours now.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Yikes! 2ml is too much man! Given that Excel kills a lot of stuff (mosses, grasses, etc.) in higher doses, you may be stunting the growth of your plants by dosing that much. I dose .25ml/day in my 3gal and everything's growing great. HC carpet is filling in, pellia has taken off, etc. Try lowering those doses a bit and see if that helps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've got a 3 gallon with the 2Liter bottle method described above, I put a check valve in to prevent any accidents if a syphon accidentally gets started, and I'm not really diffusing, just sending it through an airstone.

With a tank this small, I was afraid that using a proper diffuser would put too much CO2 into my tank, so the airston breaks the flow into tiny bubbles, and that's all I've done.

Even with this setup, water tests showed a pretty strong jump in the PH in my tank -- It went from around 8.0 to around 7.3...

I've got a traditional hood with a screw-in 15 watt spiral bulb, and have pretty constant pearling, although it has slowed as my CO2 production as fallen off...

·
Registered
101 Posts
With a tank this small, I was afraid that using a proper diffuser would put too much CO2 into my tank, so the airston breaks the flow into tiny bubbles, and that's all I've done.
I'm worried about that too right now, but I'm using a glass diffuser. I forgot my pH test at home, so I can't even check it until tomorrow. I should have waited to put the shrimp in. :icon_cry:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I heard of people doing that, but I was afraid somehow this would end up with the filter losing suction... I had this fear of a gradually growing CO2 bubble at the top of the intake tube that would eventually get too big...

How long have you been doing your C02 this way? If it's worked for a while, then I guess it's not an issue!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Are you guys using "separator" bottles for your DIY setups? I'm referring to the "2nd" bottle that comes after the yeast solution and before the tank. If you have a check-valve, is the "2nd" bottle even necessary?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just put the c02 tube next to my filter intake and it sucks/chops up the bubbles. Very simple :thumbsup:
Me too. Whisper 20. No worries about big air pockets forming. I actually drilled a hole in the intake tube and stuck in a section of rigid tubing. I don't think a small power filter like this gets as much gas in to the water as a power head would. When I look inside I can see the bubbles popping on the water surface. No catch can here and no problems.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a 2 2L bottle for my 5g tank and I used a small diffuser that was bought in Hong Kong for $60hk and it comes with a high quality tube to connect it. I use a very small check valve near the end of the line. I place the diffuser close to my HOB filter so the current will drive the bubbles across the tank. The results is my pH lowered to 6.6 and before it was 7.4

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.