The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone tell the truth...How many of you have forgotten about filling the tank (python method) and next thing you know you hear water on the floor and say OH SH**!!!

It finally happened to me today after I changed the water on my 55 gallon. I completely spaced out playing with my iPod (at least I was inside the house) and saw what I had done. On top of that, it was only half an hour before I had to leave for work. Hopefully the electrical extension will be ok. I unplugged it, drained it and used the hair dryer on the outlets. It didn't pop the breaker so hopefully when I get home, it will be ok. :icon_excl

·
Registered
50 Posts
Twice - enough to make a fairly significant mess.

In my case, I drain the water into the shower. But first I fill some buckets to clean the sponges on the intakes and to rinse the filter media. Twice I've filled one bucket, gone off to clean the sponges, got side tracked and overfilled the other bucket.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Never at my house, but I've done it several times at my work (I work at a LFS). Once as I was using the python, a sponge fell into the sink and blocked the drain. I didn't even notice until I turned around and saw water pouring into the floor drain.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
I have never over filled the tank since I don't have a python. But I have overflowed buckets a few times while gravel vacuuming.
:lol: I've found that the siphon alone must hold 3 gallons of water. I can't tell you how many times I looked down and said, "Whoa, almost too much," quickly followed by, "[email protected]#%!"

·
Registered
453 Posts
Not quite what you are talking about, but one time I walked into one of my favorite LFS and the first thing you see is the feeder goldfish 55. There were about a hundred of the little buggers flopping on the bottom of the tank. I hollered at the go-tee guy (not sure of his real name, I think Mike) who was scooping fish for a costumer. His response, "OH S#!T". It was awesome. And with no losses.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Twice, 1 x 55g, 1 x 15g. A few almost!

·
Registered
302 Posts
happened to me once. i was outside talking to my neighbor and my 55 started overflowing. my buddy was in the bathroom ,when he came out he saw it pouring on the floor and yelled " [email protected]#t" i heard him and ran in .he grab the python out of the tank so the water wasn't coming out of the tank then he proceeded to stand there shocked while the python continued to pour water on the floor i looked at him dumbfounded and yelled "shut it off dummy" he then looked at me again in total confusion dropped the python on the floor were it continued to pour more water and ran for the sink while i grabbed the python and flipped the switch on the siphon end before he made it to the sink and then yelled "the switch theres a friggin switch" about 4 gallons all in all

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
happened to me once. i was outside talking to my neighbor and my 55 started overflowing. my buddy was in the bathroom ,when he came out he saw it pouring on the floor and yelled " [email protected]#t" i heard him and ran in .he grab the python out of the tank so the water wasn't coming out of the tank then he proceeded to stand there shocked while the python continued to pour water on the floor i looked at him dumbfounded and yelled "shut it off dummy" he then looked at me again in total confusion dropped the python on the floor were it continued to pour more water and ran for the sink while i grabbed the python and flipped the switch on the siphon end before he made it to the sink and then yelled "the switch theres a friggin switch" about 4 gallons all in all

I like that one!! That could have been like mine...too funny, although your floors aren't liking it.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Happened to me on a couple occasions actually. I tend to fiddle around with the scape every time I'm near the tanks. Sometimes I think I may have OCD. Anyway, as I was doing my weekly WC I got carried away with trimming and before I knew it water was all over my carpet. I'm having more and more brain farts as I get older for some odd reason... strange. Nothing a dry bath towel cant fix.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts