The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make sure that everything I have set up is set in stone and nothing is wrong with my shrimp tank.
I am wanting to breed a wide variation of shrimps such as - CRS, RCS, Blue pearl, OEBT, and yellow shrimps (these are what I am planning to get).

As of now, I only have RCS.
In my RCS tank, my water params are ammonia - 0, nitrite - 0, nitrate - 0, pH - 6.5, GH - close to 0, KH - close to 0. (not entirely sure about GH and KH values).

I am using RO water to give my shrimps a water change.
I do not add anything to the RO water (no primer, nothing) when I do this.
My RO water TDS meter reads 0 all the time.

I realized that after using RO water, my GH value dropped from before.

The shrimps seem to be doing well, but I also have tons of pink ramshorns living with them. Not all of them are doing great. I believe 1 die off every week or so from the water possibly being too acidic for their shells.

There are white stringy worms in my tank that I've spotted.
Pond snails, MTS can be seen.
I have plants: syng belem, tonina, staurogyne repens, DHG, moss ball, java moss, naja grass, hornwort, and tons of duckweed and floating plants.

My filtration system is undergravel filter with carbon cartridges.
I do about 30% water changes every week.

I feed my snails flake food every day in order for them to not resort to eating my plants. Shrimps are found to eat some of these foods too.

BUT. I can tell my shrimps are not entirely happy. They do not swim around all the time and sometimes I would spot a shrimp or two just sitting still not doing anything. I heard somewhere that shrimps are supposed to be swimming around if they are in the right water conditions. IMO, the temperature is at around 78 degrees.

I've had one huge massive die off of CRS and RCS a month ago. and I assumed it was due to my tap water, which I treated with primer.

Please let me know what I am missing. As I feel like I am missing something.

PS: I've heard that the GH should be higher at around the 3-4 dh range. Also, minerals are essential to a shrimp's health. So should I add some minerals into the RO water before I do a water change? (for example, using mosura mineral plus and mosura shizen?) This is not only for RCS. As this is also for all the shrimps I listed at the beginning of my post. Thank you!!

Oh and btw, all the listed shrimps are NOT going into the same tank. I am cycling a 5 gallon planted tank (with high concentrations of CO2...which could be a problem... thinking about putting the blue pearls in there), and a fluval edge tank with a net blocking the inflow tube to prevent any shrimplets from getting sucked in for the OEBT and yellow shrimps. CRS are going to go into the RCS tank (10 gallon).

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you top off with RO water there's no need to add anything to it. However when doing water changes you need to remineralize the RO water first. With shrimp such as CRS that are really sensitive to water fluctuations, I suggest not using tap water. You never know when your water provider is going to change the treatment they apply to the water or switch water sources.

·
Registered
199 Posts
6.5ph is fine, i had best results with RCS around neutral though.

Your filter might be an issue here. Is it an air pump powered UG filter and media? How big is the tank?

Shrimps dont really swim around much. They like to graze all day.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you top off with RO water there's no need to add anything to it. However when doing water changes you need to remineralize the RO water first. With shrimp such as CRS that are really sensitive to water fluctuations, I suggest not using tap water. You never know when your water provider is going to change the treatment they apply to the water or switch water sources.
Thank you for the information! I definitely was confused on the remineralizing part for RO waters. Is it something that I MUST do? Say, if I don't do it, my shrimps will die? Or is it something that CRS and OEBT (sensitive shrimps) will probably die off from?

Because if they are going to die off from not remineralized RO water, then I will definitely purchase the mosura products.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
6.5ph is fine, i had best results with RCS around neutral though.

Your filter might be an issue here. Is it an air pump powered UG filter and media? How big is the tank?

Shrimps dont really swim around much. They like to graze all day.
My UG filter seems pretty safe imo. It is an air pump powered UG filter. Those typical ones you find in petsmart or petco.

This is the type of UG filter I have:

With the cartridges inserted at where the bubbles come out from. I only have carbon there. Should I use a different media?

·
Registered
430 Posts
You definitely need to remineralize the RO water you use for water changes. It adds minerals back into the water that your shrimp need to grow and molt properly, it also adds "buffering" capability into the tank to help prevent PH swings. Depending on the substrate you're using you might not need to concern yourself with buffering (Aquasoil and the like).

·
Registered
220 Posts
I realized that after using RO water, my GH value dropped from before.
I believe 1 die off every week or so from the water possibly being too acidic for their shells.
I don't know if you plan on keeping snails in your shrimp tanks(I wouldn't) or if you want to keep them otherwise, but they need a higher GH for their shells. The problem wouldn't be with pH, unless it was ridiculous, but then you'd have shrimp problems as well. Snails also like to have calcium in the water, again, for the shells.

To help with your shrimp tanks, I would recommend using plain old sponge filters. They are cheap, easy to make, and super safe for shrimp. They also provide a nice grazing area for them. You might also want to think about having fewer types of plants, like maybe just a carpet type plant and some moss(es). That way, you can catch them more easily(for breeding specific shrimp) and not knock stem plants around, and you can view them easier as well. Good luck with the endeavor whatever you choose to do!

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Well, you dont *have* to remineralize RO water but it will definitely help with the shrimps coloring and molting. I've kept and bred them in tds 0 with no problems whatsoever other than dulling colors, for months. But they've also done fine in water with a tds up to 400 with no problems either. I would suggest mosura mineral plus ultra but I believe even GH Booster will do the job fine if you plan to use it.

Other than that everything sounds fine, just lower your temp if you can, 78 should be the hottest it should ever get and that's with the light on. Try and maintain 68-76 for them and you should notice a difference.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Oh, one more thing. If you get Everything right, and still have losses, get an HOB or canister filter and put some biochemzorb or chemipure in it. That stuff will filter out things we can't test for and make sure the water is good for them. I had a snail plague Once that *really* dirtied up the tank and water for awhile and had to use that to clear it, I don't run a tank without it now ^^

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Agreed with the others, if you're using reverse osmosis your shrimp won't have enough calcium to molt properly over time because of lack of calcium. With an extremely low KH you're also going to have larger pH swings than most shrimp like. Neither of these has to be high, but if you're aiming for good water conditions they ought to be something.

Your stringy worms could be a bunch of things, nematodes, some sort of tubifex, planaria. No way to know without more info and/or pictures. Some of them are perfectly harmless and others can kill baby shrimp.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
About the pH swings, I doubt there will be any occuring. I have the ebi stratum fluval substrate that keeps the pH at 6.5 always. So that is not a problem. As for the GH being low, I do believe that is the problem. I'm guessing that's the main problem because everybody emphasized on that here haha!

Also, temperature. I'll try to keep the water cool. As with the stem plants being there, its really not a problem. I barely have them anyway. I would like to keep my snails there. So all in all, the GH should be raised. :) I will get Mosura's mineral plus and work all this out.

Oh and as with chemi pure, I have that stuff. But I doubt i'll need it. I believe my RO water gets rid of all the toxins. And since carbon is what chemi pure is made out of, I'm pretty sure my carbon cartridges are doing a good job.

As with the worm, I dont have a picture for it yet. I'll try to post it up. But they are VERY thin. And VERY stringy and they are ALL white. they're really thin like a thread. Hope that helps :/

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP. YOU ALL ARE SO KIND :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.