The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why is this a bad idea?

It doesn't have an output gauge but I think most of them are set to a specific output pressure anyway. From what I've been able to find. The Flotec site isn't easy to navigate. I can't figure out what the black knob is for. Is that for Liters/min? And what the second and third outputs are for?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
That is preset to certain psi. You can turn that black knob to increase the flow but I dont know how much psi each level is putting out. Attach a lp gauge at the output port to find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
Well, it's an oxygen regulator. Not sure about those two ports, but they look like they're on the high pressure side. Yes, the black knob is a flow valve, designed to tweak the volume of oxygen, usually measured in lpm. The little indicator notch that we can't see inside probably has single-digit numbers, referencing lpm.

One or both of those extra ports *might* be a low pressure port. You'd need to plug them, though if one is a low pressure port, you could attach a gauge. It would always read maybe 15-30 psi, but you could do it.

If you're willing to take a chance and do a bit of work, you could use this as a (single stage CO2) reg. You'll still need to add a needle valve and solenoid. And while I can't read the CGA number on the nut, my guess is it's oxygen, and would need to be changed out as well (nipple and nut).

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I was thinking of using this to set up a single stage paintball regulator. Of course, with a solenoid and needle valve. Just wasn't sure what I might be getting into though, no one uses them. However, it's at least fairly cheap so I'll experiment and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
These o2 regs are rated as continuos flow.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does that mean they can't be used with a solenoid? I'm having a hard time finding an answer to that question.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Does that mean they can't be used with a solenoid? I'm having a hard time finding an answer to that question.

It's best to call the tech department of the manufacturer and ask them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts