The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a bit about saltwater refugiums lately and I am curious as to whether anyone uses these in their FW tanks. I'm not sure I completely understand how they work in the saltwater universe, but I'm interested in the possible benefits of using a refugium in a FW tank.

For instance, since the refugium and the tank share a water column (right?), would it be possible to shove floating nitrate suckers/algae preventers like duckweed and watersprite into the refugium, keeping the main tank free of plants that you may find unattractive or incompatible with the aquascape you have in mind?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Does it also mean that you could move some of the bulky tank gadgets to the refugium? The heater? The HOB, maybe leaving a small airstone in the main tank for airflow?
Maybe in the sump's return area, I would be hesitant to put a heater in the refugium. My fuge has a bunch of moss, snails, and duckweed.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Does it also mean that you could move some of the bulky tank gadgets to the refugium? The heater? The HOB, maybe leaving a small airstone in the main tank for airflow?
A refugium would be a section of the sump typically, your return pump would be the circulation in the main tank. Airstones would't be necessary.

I don't think you'll benefit much especially with the added cost of adding an overflow, another tank, return pump, lights for the sump, etc. It's not worth it if your DT tank isn't that big.

In a planted tank, I would think your DT would have enough plants for the nutrient control where that is not necessary.

In a s/w tank, most people don't want the macro algae growing in their DT so they dedicate a section for them and for frags or pods, other section woudl be for equipment.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I'm definitely not running out to make a refugium for my nano next week or anything. I just find the idea very interesting--something to keep in the back of my brain in case I ever do a larger setup.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have freshwater refugiums for large tanks. Mainly keep nitrate hogging plants like ricca and water lettuce in them.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Oh I'm definitely not running out to make a refugium for my nano next week or anything.
I've seen a 10 gallon sump on a 5 gallon nano. Kinda funny :icon_roll but had some practical use. The innards of the tank were literally just two small glass tubes. co2, filtration, etc were all under the stand. And the total system was 15 gallons, so it was probably a lot more stable.

·
Registered
926 Posts
i have a sump for my 75gal tank. i use it to filter my water and put my heater as well.
the best part is that it is also my tank that i keep shrimp in

·
Surrounded by Blyxa
1,543 Posts
For a 6.6 gallon tank, an easy FW refugium is the same as the SW refugium equivalent - more or less. Buy an AC70, file down the plastic tab that limits flow adjustment so you can completely turn down the flow if you want. Stick your media in there along with a Hydor mini 25w or 50w heater. Now you have all the filtration you need with a hidden heater. If you want some added nutrient removal you can put vivarium plants in the HOB. Quite a few guys on the forum with planted HOB's.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I would love to do a refugium sump with shrimp and plants for my 55 or 29 but what about the noise? I'm extremely concerned with that. As I have canisters and enjoy the silence but would love to have a living planted refugium

·
Surrounded by Blyxa
1,543 Posts
Sumps are noisy. You can do some things to mitigate it, but a sump with an overflow is going to be noisy. Your sensitivity will also come into a factor. Having used canisters for a year now and enjoying the easy, and noise free, operation I don't know if I could go back to large HOB's - let alone sumps.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Too lazy to take a picture, upload it, and then attach it to this site.

Here's a picture from another member, DenverTankCollector, of the Ricca that took over his HOB, my FW refugium looks EXACTLY like this, minus the HOB.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Same thing only different.
55g, 20T, 10g daisy chained tanks. A refugium of common water column for added stability but separated by sponged siphons so the angels won't eat my shrimp and I can use the smaller tanks as fry grow outs or place a pair in the 20T. Shrimp tank 10g on the end now starting last year.

1 canister filter, 2 power heads, 3 tanks.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Sumps are noisy. You can do some things to mitigate it, but a sump with an overflow is going to be noisy. Your sensitivity will also come into a factor. Having used canisters for a year now and enjoying the easy, and noise free, operation I don't know if I could go back to large HOB's - let alone sumps.
+1
I have poret foam and K1 media in my sump along with a heater and some air stones. Last night my wife got fed up---
so no more air stones and no more functional k1. That cut the noise in half, but it is still clearly audible. I think a sump is great but where you place it is really important.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Someone gave me a complete sump and overflow box so I tried it for a while on my 75 gallon. It was so noisy. I was constantly trying to tweak it to make it quieter. I lost tetras to the overflow until I put net over that, then plant leaves would block the flow. It was nice that it held all the equipment, but not worth the hassle.

I was glad to go back to a silent canister.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Bwahahaha! OP asks about refugiums on a freshwater tank and it turns sump bashing on three replies???

Two sump systems currently running here and both are silent draining without going to a Herbie rig.
Durso stand pipes on the 110g in the kitchen and a modified Eshopps box on the 7 tank stand and both you have to try to hear them LOL.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Bwahahaha! OP asks about refugiums on a freshwater tank and it turns sump bashing on three replies???

Two sump systems currently running here and both are silent draining without going to a Herbie rig.
Durso stand pipes on the 110g in the kitchen and a modified Eshopps box on the 7 tank stand and both you have to try to hear them LOL.
maybe the wrong thread for this but...how did you get yours so silent?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts