The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How high are you running your tek light? I'm designing a canopy and I'd like to keep things as low profile as possible. Please mention if you're measuring from the water or from the rim.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
mine are roughly 3 1/2" above the waters surface when the tank is topped off. My canopy sits on my tank by the way

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
About 3-4 inches above a 90G. I use a two sided faux hood with moon lights to hide/screen the light.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm surprised to hear most people are running them that low given the adjustement range of the legs (which I've purchased and won't use...they'll be available for sale once I finalize my setup). The legs give you a minimum height starting at about 5 inches and go up to about 10.

Would you rather run them higher? In other words, is the light distribution in the top of the tank adequate at that height?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Probably depends upon the tank depth. At 24 inches on a 90, that's a fair depth for 216 watts.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I'm surprised to hear most people are running them that low given the adjustement range of the legs (which I've purchased and won't use...they'll be available for sale once I finalize my setup). The legs give you a minimum height starting at about 5 inches and go up to about 10.

Would you rather run them higher? In other words, is the light distribution in the top of the tank adequate at that height?
if you run a 4 bulb set up, you will be fine. I run a 2 bulb and I aim the reflectors where I need them

·
Registered
706 Posts
i run my 8x54 over a 120 at 5-6" using the legs. they're not quite as solid feeling as i would like, but they work. no problems with light getting to all parts of the tank.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm using the TEK legs over an 80g Bowfront. The tek can be hidden inside the canopy that can w/ the tank.

Here's a old pic of it w/o the canopy.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I hang my teks about 6-7 inches above my tank. My tank's only 18 inches tall so I don't lose too much light.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts