The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one is better? I'm lookin at the 36" 6 Lamp Tek Light T5 - Sunlight Supply for $280 without the bulbs and 36" 2x96W Coralife FRESHWATER Aqualight for $180. The first one costs $100 more for just 42 watts so I'm leaning toward Coralife. What's your opinion? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
where i can buy this tek light

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Tek because it has individual parabolic reflectors around each tube (well, they are actually a wrap from one piece sort of like corrugated). The Coralife has a flat reflector. Also no fans so Tek is quieter- (I believe the Aqualights have fans). Also the Sunlight Supply Tek has higher quality componenets such as a the triad programmed start ballast. Tek's T5 lamps run a little cooler with less "restrike" than power compact lights. Both would work fine, but the Tek is more of a high end fixture originally designed for reef and horticulture applications.

Be sure you aren't getting the horticultural version as it only has one power cord which runs to the three ballast -makes it impossible to put different banks on a timer...

Whhoo, dbl. NINJA Epic and xcooperx

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
so i need to change the bulb? what about those MH bulb at hellolight?

·
Registered
223 Posts
The Coralife doesn't hold a candle to the Tek-Light, and I speak from experience. Tek's T5HO's are pretty darn bright. Almost too bright.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I just ordered a Tek Light from Ocean's Notions on ebay, he turned it around within 36 hours (maybe even 24), so far as quick shipping and price go he did a great job!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much money you got to blow?
If I buy the tek light + bulbs (that's if they each cost around $20) I'll be broke lol. I'm just a high school student with no part-time job. I don't mind spending a extra money knowing that I will be getting something of good quality. Does anybody know a site where I could find some 39 watt bulbs for the tek light? How long do T-5 bulbs last because if I'm right about the cost of the bulbs, they would cost around $120 to replace :drool:

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
$8 bulb vs. $20 bulb. The shorter life won't be 1/2 as long as that of a 54W HO bulb, so in the end, you'll still be saving money.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I bought my 6 bulb Tek fixture on an Ebay store called "Seeds". It was $295 I think, free shipping. I ended up getting fixture + 6 bulbs + mounting hardware, brackets, etc for around $440-$450. That was a 48", yours is a 36", so a little cheaper and maybe fewer bulbs. And, yes, I speak from experience...its very bright.

·
Registered
706 Posts
as Avalon said above, Coralife doesnt hold a candle to Tek. the reflectors are just so much better at directing light down where it should be going. I own both, but man the Tek is just so much brighter with the same wattage. its so bright i use the tank with only 4 bulbs running to illuminate my house when i go out at night to give the impression someone is home in the living room. with all 8 on it really is a little too bright though. i use the Giesemann bulbs.

I also like that it uses no fans and runs ALOT cooler than a comprable CF fixture.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I don't think you're coming close to price in the MH HQI, because with tanks in the 36" and 48" lengths you're not looking at one fixture. You're looking at needing two MHs.

The advantage then with the Tec it that you will be burning less watts, cheaper electric bills, and runs cooler; but you'll still have very bright light levels.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm pretty much set on the idea of getting the tek light, but I'm not sure if the using 6 NO 21 watt bulbs will keep my 46 gallon bowfront in the high light range. I want to grow some really nice foreground plants.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Remember the lumen ratings of the T5H0 bulbs are insanely high compared to what you're accustomed to, the starcoats put out just shy of 5000 lumens, that's equivalent to 4 to 5 four foot tubes of T12!

·
Registered
82 Posts
"I don't think you're coming close to price in the MH HQI, because with tanks in the 36" and 48" lengths you're not looking at one fixture. You're looking at needing two MHs."

There are a number of fixtures that have multiple HQI MH bulbs.

Keith

1 - 20 of 22 Posts