The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To the more experienced regulator builders, in most of the builds I see, there is excess tape left exposed. I personally find it unsightly , as a result all my personal builds I tend to remove the excess exposed tape.
What is you opinion on the pros & cons if any?.
Regards

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
no cons, just looks better if you hide the tape. Exposed tape for 1 thread is okay but beyond that it looks weird. I fold and cut my teflon tape down to size. They really need to make rolls of teflon tape in smaller widths LOL but then again we're probably the only ones in this world that care about excess teflon tape :icon_lol:

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
I also think it looks horrible when it just looks like some just put the tape on all willy nilly. The trick is to not put the tape where you don't need it. Most of the time, folding it in half is sufficient.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Or if you buy the tape in smaller widths like from Harbor Frieght and put it on carefully, it doesn't show.
If some does stick out, ringing it with a sharp knife will let it be peeled off quite easy.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I also think it looks horrible when it just looks like some just put the tape on all willy nilly. The trick is to not put the tape where you don't need it. Most of the time, folding it in half is sufficient.
I don't like folding it in half, it makes the wraps for 1/8 npt fittings too thick and a lot of teflon tape gets shredded and pushed to the top of the fitting. I actually fold and cut my teflon tape in half lengthwise so i have two perfect width sizes for 1/8 npt fittings. For 1/4 npt fittings I cut off 1/4.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was my thinking ( no Cons), I usually apply the tape across the threaded area & assemble.
A light score with a sharp blade & the aid of a small wire brush and all is Purdy.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
I don't like folding it in half, it makes the wraps for 1/8 npt fittings too thick and a lot of teflon tape gets shredded and pushed to the top of the fitting. I actually fold and cut my teflon tape in half lengthwise so i have two perfect width sizes for 1/8 npt fittings. For 1/4 npt fittings I cut off 1/4.
Ya, I was thinking in terms of 1/4 applications. I cut it down for 1/8 threads. If you work the tape into the threads and use a little oil, it usually won't shread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.