The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an aquatek mini. I assumed teflon tape on the threading was always a good idea but I've seen a few threads that explicitly say NOT to do this. Does anyone know what I should do? Much thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was planning to put it on the threading of the paintball tank itself before i screwed the regulator on. But I would do it for preventative measures since I don't have a problem now. The thread that said not to use teflon tape mentioned the reason was because it was brass on brass.. not really sure what that means.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
^ Good question Kobe, I get this a lot.

You don't put teflon on the connection to the paintball bottle. You use teflon on fittings (NPT type), like when you connect two pieces together to join something else, like a needle valve to a solenoid.

There was this one over zealous guy (on another forum, he doesn't post here) who couldn't wait to be crown Co2 expert, and told me not to use teflon in a Co2 build. Of course, he read online that you shouldn't use teflon connecting the CGA 320 to the cylinder. And so he thought it apply to fittings as well.

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
I was planning to put it on the threading of the paintball tank itself before i screwed the regulator on.
This is incorrect.

You don't put teflon on the connection to the paintball bottle. You use teflon on fittings (NPT type), like when you connect two pieces together to join something else, like a needle valve to a solenoid.
This is correct.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Should I be worried about the Teflon tape on my tank? Or just leave it be until I have to swap the tank out

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
There should be a built in o-ring already on the paintball tank.

Paintball - o-ring
Co2 Cylinder - Washer
NPT Fittings - Teflon

Just remove the teflon, the built in o-ring on the paintball is good for a few uses. They give them out for free. And since we only disconnect once a month or so, they last a while. Ask them for some free ones, they will literary hand you a fist full.

·
Registered
12,463 Posts
Should I be worried about the Teflon tape on my tank? Or just leave it be until I have to swap the tank out

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Those threads are not used to "seal" only to tighten the sealing surfaces together.. Tef T will just make it "slightly" easier to unscrew..

What you did is completely neutral.. though I suppose if the real sealing area leaked it is a OK "backup"... then again the thread design is not meant to close all the gaps..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts