The Planted Tank Forum banner

Tee or not to Tee - Eheim filters

1389 9
I use two 2213's over my 38G tank and these spray bars and are starting to annoy the heck out of me. I plan on purchasing the Grey eheim in/out take kits. My question is should i buy two sets, one for each filter, or it's ok that i use a "tee" let them both go through on one. I also plan on using inline heater on one and diy co2 reactor on the other. I'm basically slowy reducing equiptment clutters inside my tank. What are the pros and cons on using "tee" versus using two kits.

Thanks everyone...
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies guys. although i still haven't seem to get the answer to my question which is "tee or not to tee". Also, forgot to mention that there is also a powerhead(maxi jet 400) runnining in the tank for added circulation. I find the spray works for me for water distribution.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Nice and inexpensive outlet! Will the smaller size fit the eheim's 1/2" tubing with some coaxing? It lists "for 5/8" - 3/4".
I'm not sure how pliable the Eheim tubing is, it may be a very tight fit? Put the tube under boiling water they try and squeeze it on.

I have one on 5/8" ID stiff tubing and it sits 1/2 way up the "5/8" part of the nipple, so I would think with some heat and muscle its should fit on the 1/2" tubing?? YRMV Again you can get a length of 5/8" tubing for $5 at the hardware store if needed

As for the OP, my opinion is that more inlets/outlets is better like I said. Also when combining things you get less flow due to more volume in a single tube/pipe/hose=more resistance+pressure+higher velocity=less total flow

Personally I would not do it, just run 1 filter if you going to do that IMO

·
Registered
173 Posts
What are the pros and cons on using "tee" versus using two kits?
Well, one I/O means less clutter in the tank, less things to keep clean, and less out of pocket expense.

Two I/Os mean better circulation "coverage" (for lack of a better word), and better flow control.

It's also great (in the case of using two cans as you & I both do) to let one become colonized by mostly nitrobacter, and the other one with nitrosomonas. You can clean one can more often than the other one to encourage this- doing routine cleaning on one can without disturbing or turning off the other one is a nice feature of multiple cans. This keeps the water flowing over your precious bacteria. This can be done whether or not you "tee" by using the inline shut-off valves in the right places.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm not sure how pliable the Eheim tubing is...
Not very. Your boiling water suggestion is a good one.

I don't use Ehiem tubing any longer; I use the clear tubing made by Lee's. It's so cheap as to be almost disposable and it is super pliable and creates a better seal (IME). I can easily fit their 1/2" onto a Hydor 5/8" inline heater and I'm sure it would fit other 5/8 nipples without much force.

·
Banned
5,003 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.