The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having some trouble getting food to my apistos. Part of the problem is that my stupid rasboras are too fast to the food, and anything sinking doesn't get past them unless I overfeed, which I hate to do. Time to take the rasboras back to the LFS and get a different dither in my QT tank I think...

Anyway, to entice the apistos to eat directly, I was thinking about soaking flakes (or just loading up brine shrimp, bloodworms, etc) into a turkey baster and squirting it into their path on the bottom.

Are there any apisto pros who can offer some advice? Thanks a ton.

-H

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I feed different sized foods in tanks that I have to. My apistos naturally stayed lower than my blue emperor tetras, so to get around this, I fed flakes (for the tetras) and NLS Cichlid pellets which sank, and were too big for the tetras.
You could also pre-thaw in a small cup of water a cube of bloodworms/brine shrimp and make a food cloud for your fish, evenly dispersing food all over.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Apistogramma sp. love picking food off the substrate, so I deposit NLS, bloodworms, etc. directly on the substrate. Or sometimes, I just 'flood the market' (ie. overfeed).

·
Registered
476 Posts
To feed my GBRs, i put in enough flakes to feed my tetras and guppies. While they are tearing that up, i drop in a few of Hikari Cichlid Gold sinking type mini pellets. It took some searching to find the sinking type since most fish stores only have the floating type. Also, it says sinking or floating very small on the label, the package should be blue rather than red. They are much better at getting down to the bottom feeders. The mini size seems to work well for me, its small enough that the GBRs can pick at them and move them around, but big enough that the tetras and guppies cant swallow them before they get to the bottom.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...ubref=AA&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=0029710000000

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My girlfriend swears she sees the male eating HC during the day. I have been watching him and she may be right. Either there are tiny bits of food particles trapped in there, or he is eating it. The little rascal is definitely ripping off chunks of leaves.

·
Registered
205 Posts
i used a 10mL dosing syringe, the kind used to dose meds to small children, that you can get @ any drugstore and inject thawed bloodworms close to the substrate that way. ask the pharmacist for one before you pay 2 dollars for one, mine will always give me one or two if i ask:proud:. it works better than a turkey baster because you have more control, imo. I found that my pair would eat half of a cube of the hikari bloodworms in one feeding.
+1 on apistos searching around the substrate for tidbits, also +1 on hikari or omega small or mini sinking cichlid pellets, small/mini should be too big for your rasboras and just right for your apistos. mind you don't get they baby size, rasboras will gobble them up before they hit the substrate unless you over feed, which is not really a good idea, imo.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I've started using a turkey baster, since I only have one syringe atm for my injections of Prime and Flourish. Seems to work well, and the apistos are getting the idea. I need to get some sinking pellets. I tried crushing up flakes and squirting some near them. They both worried at it a little, then spit it out and ignored it from then on. So far they are only eating frozen foods.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I mixed some crushed-up flakes in with a little brine shrimp, and they ate it all. Flakes by itself they will sometimes eat, pellets and sinking wafers not at all unfortunately. I think they like their food "on the move", so to speak. The pellets and wafers just drop and sit there. I haven't managed to convince them it is edible yet.

·
Registered
205 Posts
after a while my apistos, and german blue rams as well, would feed right from the syringe. no mess or uneaten food at all. also works, as you found out, with flake. good luck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really need to get a syringe... the baster is too big, although they are really funny now that they know what it means. The female tries to be brave and get right up to it, but inevitably she gets scared and hides before I can squeeze out the food. The male just swims right up to it and waits, like the brave little man he is.

I did manage to convince them that sinking wafers are food this weekend, which is a relief. They actually seemed to like them. Sortof reminded me of a dog with an oversize bone... they pick it up, shake vigorously, and then eat all the little bits that fly off. I fed them every other day for a little bit to build their hunger. Now that they know the commercial stuff is edible, I can probably go back to every day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts