The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you might have read my journal 810l (210g) teak root tank but I thought considering that it's 1. my first planted tank and 2. going to take 6 months or so before it's even ready to fill with water (let alone plant) I ought to practice on something smaller first.

So after seeing this:

and this:

and this:

I thought I'd quit constantly calling TGM with just questions and actually give them some of my hard earned cash so I've just pulled the trigger on the following:

• ADA Cube Garden Mini M, 36 x 22 x 26 cm, 21L
  • ADA Solar Mini M (27w compact fluorescent)
  • Eheim Ecco Pro 130
  • Cal Aqua Labs Nano Efflux F1 13mm
  • Cal Aqua Labs Nano Influx X1 (13mm)
  • Do!aqua CO2 Starter Kit
  • ADA Pollen Glass Mini CO2
  • ADA CO2 Beetle Counter
  • ADA Stone & ADA Hornwood
  • ADA Aqua Soil Powder Amazonia and ADA Power Sand Special S
  • TGM Pinsettes & Scissors
  • Some other stuff I can't remember

I'm thinking some Hemianthus callitrichoides in the foreground, maybe some hairgrass and some Bolbitis heudelotii. Not 100% sure yet, will have to do some research into it.

As a stand I'll probably stick this on one of those teak roots! :lol:

It's rather alarming that a tank so small can cost so effing much! I shudder to even imagine what the big thing will cost, but I guess trying to touch perfection comes at a price. I just hope I can live up to it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are my pictures, I'm awaiting an RO unit before I fill it, so for the next week or so these will have to do...

Gaz at TGM was kind enough to go through my entire order and suggested I consider Cal Aqua lily pipes and drop checker over ADAs for my nano tank, it's both cheaper and more suited size wise. The ADA Beetle Counter and Pollen Glass Mini are definitely unnecessary since the Do!Aqua CO2 kit comes with a very nice diffuser/bubble counter but I've always had the hots for the Beetle Counter ever since seeing it a few years ago! :)

And of course where would we be without some beautiful pieces of Dragon Stone and hornwood (both fantastic stuff):

The dog sat bored as I ran around with camera, tripod and table cloth taking pictures of the tank. Think she's giving me a hint!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great looking equipment and scape materials. Gorgeous dog.
Thanks, she's the sweetest thing :)

More work on this project:

First an empty tank and a 100V transformer for the Solar I lamp (which means I could turn it on!). You'd think it'd come with one for the price!

Next just over half a bag of 2l Power Sand S. I kept it away from the edge of the glass so I don't have to see any of the 'sand' through the glass.

Camera on auto timer and pour some Aqua Soil Amazonia (Powder):

I ended up having to use nearly the entire bag to create a banked effect (I left the far left corner lower so I can place the inlet pipe here and collect the mulm which accumulates - apparently it's a good idea...?):

Iwagumi with Dragon stone (1st attempt):

2nd attempt:

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's rather alarming that a tank so small can cost so effing much! I shudder to even imagine what the big thing will cost, but I guess trying to touch perfection comes at a price. I just hope I can live up to it!
Would you mind telling us just how expensive the whole thing came out to be? I would love to get another tank but it amazes me how much money it takes to have this hobby.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would you mind telling us just how expensive the whole thing came out to be? I would love to get another tank but it amazes me how much money it takes to have this hobby.
I suggest calling Aqua Forest San Francisco or ADG Houston and getting a quote on the parts list above. Prices are significantly cheaper in the US vs the UK.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally received and installed the RO unit so filled the little thing up with water last week:

Ammonia and nitrates were high so performing 50% water changes at the moment.

For planting I bought some Hemianthus Callitrichoides, Eleocharis Parvula and Acicularis and am all planted and CO2 connected now :)

Planting a nano sure requires a knack, everything is so fiddly and the plants kept coming out with the tweezers:

All filled and ready to watch grow:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At the moment I'm doing:
Light 6 hours (1pm-7pm)
CO2 7 hours (11am-6pm)

Ferts:
ADA Brighty K (daily half a pump
ADA Step 1 (daily half a pump)

Water change:
40% daily - (remineralized RO water)

Am I doing the right things?

Also at what point do I need to trim the HC?
How often do I need to trim the Eleocharis and HC?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When the HC starts growing up more than out, then I trim it. Your tank looks great, same with your photos. Also, what kind of camera are you using?
Thanks, good suggestion, I'll probably have to start trimming it from next week at the rate it's growing.

I'm using a DSLR camera with two flashes bouncing light off the ceiling. Nothing super expensive tbh, key is to have as much diffused light as possible.

I trimmed the eleocharis right down on my tank:

I just took readings today:
NO2: 0 mg/l
NH4: 0 to 0.25 mg/l
NO3: 0 mg/l

Now I'm using RO water and doing 50% water changes every, single day but surely I shouldn't be at 0 mg/l NO3?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Beautiful photography, great looking tank, and sweet equipment. Keep it up!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts