The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I finally gave in and bought a tds meter. Not sure exactly where parameters are supposed to be, but I'm pretty sure my tap water is unhealthy, to say the least. Lol So, what is the averages for people tap, and tanks, what do you find ideal for most planted aquariums? What's ideal for invert tanks or south American or sensitive fish?

My tap tests at 360. My planted tanks are right about 500 on average after a week of no water changes.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
333 Posts
My tap comes out around 36. At the beginning of a 50% water change on my 40b it runs somewhere around 275. By the next waterchange the tds reading is around 450-550. I dose light EI and stopped using Neutral Regulator which was distorting my tests, causing water problems, and costing me money.

The folks in Shrimp and invert section may also be able to help you with your questions. They are all about monitoring tds.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not much of specific question, just trying to get a general idea of what others have their systems at and what they keep safely in them.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
360 is pretty good water quality. When it starts breaking 1000 you have a problem.
Really? Straight out of the tap? Seems high, since it shows 500 being the regulatory max.

·
Registered
627 Posts
For drinking water not for plants. Had a well at work over 1500tds. Had to get a RO system installed to bring it down to around 250-350.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts