The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So it's been about a month since I first set up my planted tank. Things were going fine until I started to see signs of a brown algae bloom. it isn't terrible but even at small amounts it's rather unsightly. I thought I'd be fine with my tap water but my TDS reads a tad over 400. I have 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites, and 5 ppm Nitrates which, by doing small water changes every day it seems to be under control. I do want to convert my water and get my TDS down to 120-130 but I don't want to kill my Amano shrimp. I know all of the other inhabitants will do just fine with the shift in parameters but I want to make sure my cleaning crew is accounted for.

Rather than doing one big 50%-60% water change to get my TDS down, would it be better to do 10% per day until my TDS gets to where I want it? I have Seachem equilibrium but I dont think I need it unless I'm changing 100% of the water.

Fauna: Siamese algae eaters, Nerite Snails, Neon Tetras, Rainbow Fish, and Amano Shrimp

Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Sun

·
Registered
349 Posts
Wow, beautiful tank!

Smaller, gradual changes are always good. Especially if your inhabitants are doing ok currently. Algae, unfortunately takes those jumps in parameters way better than everything else in your tank will.

Reactions: Aquascaper1

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, beautiful tank!

Smaller, gradual changes are always good. Especially if your inhabitants are doing ok currently. Algae, unfortunately takes those jumps in parameters way better than everything else in your tank will.
Thanks! @Griznatch! I was thinking exactly that. once I get my TDS down over time, from that point, I will dose Seachem equilibrium to match the new RO TDS to the tank when doing water changes. Looking forward to getting over this hurdle for sure.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your tank is gorgeous!! Just had to say it. Also wanted to add that algae at a month in is 100% normal and it sounds like you are doing everything right to handle it. Good luck!!
Thanks for the kind words @Plinkploop! things are moving along as planned. Thanks to the Twinstar Nano, I never really had green spot algae but because brown algae is a diatom, the Twinstar doesn't combat that. I have to get my TDS down to around 120-130 so that's what I will be doing over the weekend. I am setting up a 10 gallon high tech scape next week and am excited to get started hehe will post a more substantial tank journal for that one.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Thanks for the kind words @Plinkploop! things are moving along as planned. Thanks to the Twinstar Nano, I never really had green spot algae but because brown algae is a diatom, the Twinstar doesn't combat that. I have to get my TDS down to around 120-130 so that's what I will be doing over the weekend. I am setting up a 10 gallon high tech scape next week and am excited to get started hehe will post a more substantial tank journal for that one.
Ooh I can't wait to follow that tank journal!! 😁 keep up the great work!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Rainbows do better in harder water actually. What I would do is shoot for like 175-225 because sae and rainbows usually come in harder water same with amano. id do like a 25% wc with 50/50 rodi then the next week do a wc 50% 50/50 rodi then the next week do same until it reaches like 200 tds then do a 50% wc with the proper compisiton of water. 50/50 mix of ro would be desired

·
Registered
239 Posts
Mine is high too I don’t care that it’s high because I care more about plants for the ecosystem in my tank not to make some kind of aquascape ada thing with them. It can be pretty to look at but I would just rather have a overgrown jungle with OK plants I don’t care about having like some purple plant because if i wanted that stuff I would just make a land garden

My lfs only sells fish (except for like rummynose and cardinal tetras and sensitive wild apistogramma/bettas) that can live off indiana tap water and at least get their fish to 50/50 rodi tap which is conveinent. Also if you think you have too hard of water, you can just order from aquatic arts b/c all their stuff is on indiana tap. They would never be able to do such large scale stuff with rodi because they have like 40k square feet in their warehouse, I’m planning on trying to get affiliated with them

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just did a 1 gallon water change and my TDS dropped 40ppm from 430 ppm down to 390 ppm. Gonna keep changing 1 gallon twice a day until I get down to 120-130. I have some Seachem equilibrium on hand to maintain my GH and all changes to parameters will be incremental. wish me luck haha

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey guys,

So it's been about a month since I first set up my planted tank. Things were going fine until I started to see signs of a brown algae bloom. it isn't terrible but even at small amounts it's rather unsightly. I thought I'd be fine with my tap water but my TDS reads a tad over 400. I have 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites, and 5 ppm Nitrates which, by doing small water changes every day it seems to be under control. I do want to convert my water and get my TDS down to 120-130 but I don't want to kill my Amano shrimp. I know all of the other inhabitants will do just fine with the shift in parameters but I want to make sure my cleaning crew is accounted for.

Rather than doing one big 50%-60% water change to get my TDS down, would it be better to do 10% per day until my TDS gets to where I want it? I have Seachem equilibrium but I dont think I need it unless I'm changing 100% of the water.

Fauna: Siamese algae eaters, Nerite Snails, Neon Tetras, Rainbow Fish, and Amano Shrimp

View attachment 1028437

Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Sun
Nice tank!! It will look even better with clean lilly pipes.
Good luck!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recently got a TDS meter and found out my tap water is 330 TDS, but it's been running fine for all these years though. I wouldn't worry too much about it, fish adapt. And from my experience, amanos are very hardy. Less fragile than cardinal tetras.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I'd recommend starting your Equilibrium dose at 1/3 the recommended amount (1 tsp / 20 gallons). It's got a good amount of K in it and can jack the level up pretty high if you use the full 1 TBSP dose.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.