The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a TDS meter but am a little intimidated at where to start, I don't want to pay more than $30 but if I am wasting my money on crap then I would like to know too, so does anyone have any recommendations, and where to get one. Was tempted to just get a Zero water pitcher that comes with one since I can get it locally. Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Make sure you get calibration solution that is close to the tds of the water you will be testing. Example don't get 1400ppm calibration solution if your water is only 400ppm. This will make your readings more accurate. You can also find them at hydroponics stores if there are any in your area. I have an HM Digital tds pen and it works good it was around $20.00. Also you must know what the conversion factor is for accuracy as well. Different meters will read different tds based on the conversion factor it uses. Google this to understand what I mean. Mine uses a .5 CF.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Another thing to consider, if accuracy is important to you, is to get a meter that has automatic temperature compensation (ATC).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts