The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am not a fan of the chemistry side of this endeavor ATALL!!...but I do love buying gadgets and having more stuff.
1. it is fun to learn
2. I like the look on my wifes face when another box from amazon shows up on the doorstep.

thus-

is there a better TDS Meter. I now have three shrimp tanks and need to start NOT HATING the chemistry part.....

I purchased my 3rd or 4th liquid api test kit. (I am old and have been doing this a long time.....doing it, not 100% perfectly, but doing it)

thanks in advance, ya'll are a wonderful resource
b

Reactions: Pattern8

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Evilbay usually has a 2 pen set pH/TDS with 7.0 calibration fluid for under $20 with free shipping.
For hobby level testing this should be fine.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will check it out! thank you
b

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
OK, I am not a fan of the chemistry

is there a better TDS Meter.
Hey you will be glad to hear a TDS Meter has more to do with physics than with chemistry:grin2:, as it actually measures conductivity of the solution.

As for a better... they are pretty basic instruments and in my opinion in planted aquariums you do not a supper accurate one. This is because the TDS value is already a sum value of many things disolved in the water (so already has a large error). So don't spend hundreds on one .

As long as it is relatively precise ( ie you can compare the values from the same instrument) it will do the job.

Enjoy the chemistry of the planted tank.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Hi bsherwood
You will find maintaining water quality to be easier and faster with a TDS tester than with test kits. It may not tell the whole story in details but it will include what test kits can’t. Once you get to know the routine you won’t need any of the test kits.
They are $5 on eBay, any will do. Just make sure it reads in µS units. There are other units for different applications.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Edward!!!

Thankyou to everyone....we are so fortunate to have this forum as a resource for our passion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just received this pH, TDS, & Temp pen I bought from eBay, yesterday.
3 in 1 Pen Type Waterproof LCD Digital Ph TDS Temp Meter:

So far I really like it, it makes things a lot easier and seems to be accurate.
I haven't had a chance to calibrate it yet as I have yet to receive my calibration solutions, but calibration seems easy enough.
Comparing results with my API test kits, it seems to be accurate as far as pH and temperature.
I like this pen more because it has both pH and TDS, the others I've seen are either only pH or TDS, but not both.
It cost about $23.00 on eBay, but I also had to spend about the same buying 4 button batteries at Target.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TDS meter has been shipped! should have it in a few days.
thanks for all the advice folks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just received this pH, TDS, & Temp pen I bought from eBay, yesterday.
3 in 1 Pen Type Waterproof LCD Digital Ph TDS Temp Meter:

So far I really like it, it makes things a lot easier and seems to be accurate.
I haven't had a chance to calibrate it yet as I have yet to receive my calibration solutions, but calibration seems easy enough.
Comparing results with my API test kits, it seems to be accurate as far as pH and temperature.
I like this pen more because it has both pH and TDS, the others I've seen are either only pH or TDS, but not both.
It cost about $23.00 on eBay, but I also had to spend about the same buying 4 button batteries at Target.

I don't see it says package included in the meter stick
I want one >.<

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Meter has arrived.....testing all tanks....my shrimp tanks??? TDS over 600!!!!!!!!! I had read that you need not do water changes on a shrimp tank as long as you are keeping nitrates, amonia, nitrite in check.....but holy smokes!!! my other planted tanks , where I do regular changes was much much lower.....

I have been doing partial changes on the shrimp tanks the past 2-3 days....tds is below 400 but "discobee" says to keep tds in the 100-180 range???

out of the tap I am at 185 in TDS

three years ago I gave away my entire RO system to my nephew. I was getting out of "saltwater aquariums" and would never need an RO unit again.....
yes, I am a moron

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I suppose it was about a quart of tap water....

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DOH!

ppm

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
there must be a conversion chart?? no?

Bump: This is the meter

Attachments

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
How do I convert ppm TDS to µS TDS?
The conversion rate is not linear, only estimated and dependent on the actual TDS meter mode.

TDS meter mode:
NaCl -> 1.47 to 1.50
442 -> 1.65 to 1.85
KCl -> 1.50 to 1.57

µS TDS ≈ ppm TDS * 1.50 (for NaCl mode)

Example
150 µS TDS ≈ 100 ppm TDS * 1.50

Please see post #25 below, thank you.

·
Registered
275 Posts
TDS in ppm is for kitchen salt applications, not for aquariums. Aquariums use µS because of the solids involved.
You can switch the TDS meter to µS reading and get a different value.
I think I'm a little confused about this unit measurement conversion as well. I don't think my device has the option to display anything other than ppm. So when reading other posts on TDS readings are most people using ppm or the other (I can't find the character in my keyboard)?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I think I'm a little confused about this unit measurement conversion as well. I don't think my device has the option to display anything other than ppm. So when reading other posts on TDS readings are most people using ppm or the other (I can't find the character in my keyboard)?
Text and posts mentioning TDS without a unit (ppm, µS, EC,) have no merits.

To type “µ”, hold Alt + 230, or type microS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My TDS for my planted community tank with Amano and RCS is currently at 230ppm.
When I first got my pen it was at around 400ppm.. I did a small 10% water change with RO water with a TDS of 20 and it went down to 220ish..
All livestock and plants are doing fine at this TDS level.. RCS are molting and 3 are currently berried.. We'll see how the babies do in 20ish days..
My TDS pen also measures in x10 ppm.. not sure in which mode NaCl, 442, or KCl.
What do these Chinese TDS pens typically use?

Also, I suggest purchasing calibration solutions for TDS 1000ppm and 1500ppm or something and making sure it's calibrated.
Mine was off by about +50ppm TDS out of the box.
This is what I picked up, since my pen also measures pH.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts