The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a TDS meter and the reading on my 33 gallon long, it read 171 which from what I have read seems to be a good number. The only thing that makes me wonder about the level is that I havent done a water change in 2-3 weeks, just top offs with ro water. I havent tested my gh/kh lately, but last time a changed the water it read 0-1kh and 3-4gh. Does this number seem off? What ppm reading should I shoot for? Any help would be great.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I never thought of using a TDS meter this way. I just use it on RO/DI water to make sure it's under 10 for my S/W.

I gotta to say you must not feed that tank to have such low TDS. My tap water comes out at 300~!

·
Registered
824 Posts
I need some guidance on this issue. I have two shrimp tanks that are reproducing at a high rate. One has CRS and the other has OEBT. Both tanks have a TDS around 300. I do all the liquid fertz use straight RO with mineral added in. I top of during the week with RO + mineral additive.

Since my shrimp are molting and breeding at a high rate with out any die offs, am I really doing something wrong. Or are my TDS levels ok.

-Don

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I need some guidance on this issue. I have two shrimp tanks that are reproducing at a high rate. One has CRS and the other has OEBT. Both tanks have a TDS around 300. I do all the liquid fertz use straight RO with mineral added in. I top of during the week with RO + mineral additive.

Since my shrimp are molting and breeding at a high rate with out any die offs, am I really doing something wrong. Or are my TDS levels ok.

-Don
Don you should be topping off during the week with stright RO water. Dosing Ro +mineral with TOs is causing a mineral build up. This may not be an issue right now but will in the future when you shrimp stop mating b/c of the Ca and Mg levels hardening the egg shells.

·
Banned
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I never thought of using a TDS meter this way. I just use it on RO/DI water to make sure it's under 10 for my S/W.

I gotta to say you must not feed that tank to have such low TDS. My tap water comes out at 300~!

Thats kinda what I am wondering, do you think I should be feeding more? It doesnt seem like they are starving, they do eat when food is there, but there is an IAL that has been in there for a few weeks now and they dont seem to touch it. Right now I feed 4-5 times per week.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
They're fine. You don't want to feed so much that your TDS goes up. All that means is there's excess nitrates in the tank. Just feed like you've been doing. The only TDS that really matters is the TDS of the water you put in there. Match TDS for water changes, top off with water that has close to 0 TDS. Your GH and KH wont raise once the water is in the tank unless there's something in your tank causing the GH or KH to rise.

Don't worry about it.

·
Banned
532 Posts
I gotta to say you must not feed that tank to have such low TDS.
A tank's TDS basically reflects the net effect of nutrient addition (e.g. shrimp feed, plant fertilization dosing) and removal (e.g. plant growth, water change). Therefore, low TDS does not necessary mean feeding was too low. A low TDS may mean the amount of feeding was just right and therefore the TDS remains low. Low TDS means less impurity in the water. IOW, cleaner water.

·
Banned
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
next question: From what I have read some people use tds to know when to change water. If so, what reading do you change the water at, and what is your goal tds after the water change?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.