The Planted Tank Forum banner

TDS meter has arrived!

1603 14
TDS of tank = 188

TDS of tap water = 148

At what TDS should I water change?

I have:

5 g Spec V

Lots of floaters: frogbit, salvinia, broadleaf water wisteria, dwarf water lettuce, myrio, anachris

Fauna: 2 Amanos, 1 ivory apple snail golfball sized, 5 ramshorns, 25 pond snails, 2 scuds and 10 PFR/RCS

I have done 2 or 3 10% water changes since the PFR/RCS were introduced a month ago. The 4 that I see regularly are much bigger!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
i generally keep TDS below 200 only because my tank is fully stocked with shrimp and snails. The snails creates a lion share of the bioload so its more of a safety to keep it within this range.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i generally keep TDS below 200 only because my tank is fully stocked with shrimp and snails. The snails creates a lion share of the bioload so its more of a safety to keep it within this range.
I am calculating my bio load thusly:

Vanilla Beast = 2 gallons

2 Amanos = 0.3 gallons

10 PFR/RCS = 1 g

Other snails = 0.5 g bc so very small

So currently 3.8 g used up out of 5 g, which leaves 1.2 g.

I think I can easily add 10 more PFR without overstocking.

Any advice much appreciated!

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
i would think the amanos would eat (and poo) more than the snail. You are no were near overstocked. dont worry. when i say im loaded, i have over 100 shrimp, 70 snails, 50+scuds. Adding plants will help offset that but not significantly.

im surprised the tap comes out as 148. is that before or after chlorine treatment?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would think the amanos would eat (and poo) more than the snail. You are no were near overstocked. dont worry. when i say im loaded, i have over 100 shrimp, 70 snails, 50+scuds. Adding plants will help offset that but not significantly.

im surprised the tap comes out as 148. is that before or after chlorine treatment?
Before. My city adds chloramine. And our reservoir can run brackish depending on rainfall.

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
so you have to double d the prime for chloramine and the brackish explains the high tds...

an alternative also is to collect rain water and use that for the tanks. it ought to be less poluted and have a lower tds.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so you have to double d the prime for chloramine and the brackish explains the high tds...

an alternative also is to collect rain water and use that for the tanks. it ought to be less poluted and have a lower tds.
I haven't needed to double the Prime happily! 2 drops per gallon and everybody's heahlthy thus far.

I just started in July though...

·
Registered
843 Posts
I am near the ocean and rural, so I collect rainwater, I let it rain for a while to clean odd any settled dirt and dust or whatever and off a metal roof I get from 001 to 002 tds. Other wise I use ro water. My crs cbs tank I am keeping at around 160 tds using mosura.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am near the ocean and rural, so I collect rainwater, I let it rain for a while to clean odd any settled dirt and dust or whatever and off a metal roof I get from 001 to 002 tds. Other wise I use ro water. My crs cbs tank I am keeping at around 160 tds using mosura.
We're relatively pollution free so I might think about this for the future!

·
Registered
843 Posts
You might find that the tds goes up in coresponding amount to the nitrates, so for example you might find that when your tds reaches 200 then you know your nitrates have gone up also. Not sure in your setup, you will have to experiment and document your readings to watch for patterns.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.