The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a TDS meter. My tap water measures 114us. My 55gal tank reads 260us. What should the tank read using PPS-pro dosing system? I thought my target is 204us? Is this correct. I think i need to do a water change.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
That is also my understanding. Something close to about 100 us is right, depending on if you are adding extra calcium or not.
I would do a water change, perhaps 25%. I would not try to drop the TDS all the way down in one water change. The fish have had a while to gradually get used to the higher TDS. It will take them some time to adjust to a lower TDS, and going in this direction is harder for them. Then in a few days repeat 25%. A couple of more 25% water changes the following week ought to get you a lot closer to the target.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Use the other aquarium tests (whichever ones you have) to see if you can identify which might be building up or lacking.
If you can figure that out, then just dose the things that are missing or getting used up.

Fish food has a fair amount of N, P and most traces, so if you are feeding fish or shrimp, this will actually count as dosing N, P and most traces.

Fish food is low in K, Fe, and somewhat low in Ca and Mg.

If the GH is at least 3 German degrees of hardness, then I would assume Ca and Mg are present, but a Ca test and some math (there is a special formula) would tell you if the Ca and Mg are present in a reasonable ratio. Or, if you want to dose a small amount of GH booster that would make sure these elements are present.

If any dosing is needed, you might just dose a small amount of K and chelated Fe.

Backing way off from the dosing can also help you figure out how much the fish food is actually giving your tank.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Hi
Your tap is 114 µS? That indicates extremely fine water source in terms of minerals like Ca and Mg. You are so lucky, plants love it. Anyhow, I would search for a water utility report. Such low conductivity is closer to RO Reverse Osmosis water then regular tap.
So basically you need to find your tap water Calcium level and decide on possible dosage. Mg is no problem PPS-Pro includes Mg.

As far as daily dosing I recommend to continue to give plants the complete fertilizer they need for now.

For moderators: Wouldn’t this thread fit more to the "Fertilizers and Water Parameters" sub forum?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
So is the TDS target range 204ppm for PPS PRO?
No, the goal is to add roughly 100ppm over whatever the water comes in with. If you are starting with a hard water that already has over 200ppm of stuff there is no way you can add to that and still come out with 200ppm.

I have a water softener
Then you need to test a few things.
Usually a sodium exchange water softener will remove the calcium and magnesium, which are beneficial minerals, and replace them with sodium, which plants do not use.
Can you get to the water that does not run through the softener? (perhaps a hose bibb)
Test GH, KH, pH, TDS on the water that does not run through the softener. If this will work with your fish choices it would be better for the plants.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Hi,
So is the TDS target range 204ppm for PPS PRO?
Sorry to hijack :)
Thanks
Water column conductivity readings with and without optional Calcium
Water source µS + PPS-Pro 90 µS + Calcium 40 µS
Water source µS + PPS-Pro 90 µS

Examples
RO 10 µS + PPS-Pro 90 µS + Calcium 40 µS = 140 µS
Tap 300 µS + PPS-Pro 90 µS = 390 µS

Note: Values are in µS, not ppm. Read more

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.