The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I've seen those in real life, and I flat out told the manager how incredibly disappointed I was that his otherwise fantastic store was marred with those fish. I told him that I would make sure everyone in my local club knew they were carrying those if he continued to stock them, and that the vast majority of the club would boycott. He came around. It is so sad to see that. Makes me sick!

·
Registered
189 Posts
This is certainly not good. Even worse than painted tetras and such.

I saw in one LFS a 6" gourami with red/green checkerboard pattern on it. Must have been done the same way.

I don't think attracting people to the hobby by selling painted/tattooed fish is ethically and otherwise correct.

·
Registered
127 Posts
tattooing fish is definitely unethical, the best way to fight it is to make others aware and just refuse to buy from stores that stock tattooed fish.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I've seen hundreds of those pictured. Not to mention the many other species being dyed, tattooed, or just plain mutilated.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
There are some "I LUV YOU" fishes at LFS now. My girlfriend was like are you going to buy me that for valentines day? I told her what the hell they do to it and she said ok don't buy it.

Honestly....these tattoo fish are just Fu#%@# ugly anyways and just f$%## up that some people think it's cool

·
Registered
2 Posts
"My hope is if it gets more people into the hobby it's a good thing. If a kid comes in and sees a fish with a heart on it and says I want a fish tank and learns how to care for it, I think it's a win,"

-Steve Lan, Steve's Wonderful World of Pets, Williamsville, NY

Ugh, are you serious? Obvious ethical issues aside, this [email protected]@ss should be thrown in jail for tackiness. Let him know what you think of his support of this new practice. I did.

email: [email protected]

·
Registered
562 Posts
I mean... y'know how there are so many selectively bred guppies and bettas and goldfish... but... this goes TOO FAR. *cry*

·
Registered
205 Posts
I mean... y'know how there are so many selectively bred guppies and bettas and goldfish... but... this goes TOO FAR. *cry*
Yeah but those are bred and born that way not ripped out of the water and held with a clamp and tatted or stuck with a needle to inject dye or having lasers burn designs into them.

I saw this first thing this morning on the local news and at least they didn't advocate it I was really expecting them to say how cool they were or not but they all said they thought it was wrong and said something about natural fish already having great color, and I couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Well, they have great color when they're happy and healthy! That pink dye looks like a bacterial infection to me and it would drive me bat-#$%^-looney every day.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Only way to stop or slow down manufacturing of dyed fish is boycotting the sale of dyed fish and even help raise awareness among beginners regarding the dyed fish and why it is impractical to dye them.:smile:

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Can anyone explain the appeal of a tail-less fish? I find the tails of many species to be extremely beautiful and elegant.

They look..I don't know...stupid I guess. Not even interesting, cool, fascinating, etc.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Can anyone explain the appeal of a tail-less fish? I find the tails of many species to be extremely beautiful and elegant.

They look..I don't know...stupid I guess. Not even interesting, cool, fascinating, etc.
Heart-shaped elegance?:icon_lol: I honestly don't like it. Neither is it appealing. To pinch tails just to make the fish look like the shape they want is an idea I would throw back to the faces of those responsible for such unethical practice.:angryfire

·
Registered
247 Posts
i think i saw a couple of those fish at a new petsmart in my area they put a couple of them in a tank mixed with the real untortured fish. most likely to distract the people from see what the fish really were.

·
Registered
429 Posts
What's the natural color of parrot fish any way? Really.... I don't know.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
It's hard to say what's natural for a parrot fish (I'm talking freshwater parrots here) because they aren't a natural fish at all. I do believe they are a 100% created species that never occurs naturally. I have seen what I believe to be standard coloring of a grayish/tan, and some that are a more natural looking grayish/orange, but when you engineer a fish how can you say what's "normal" for it anyways?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts