The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:redface: I think we all go through a phase that we feel that our situation is different.... only to find out that not to be the case. Others said clowns and angels could or would eat cherries. "Not in my tank" I thought, as all were getting along fine. Over the past week, I have noticed less visual activity from shrimp. Even less in the Java Moss they typically huddle in. I "had" about 20 total in my 125g.

Beggining of last week I saw one shrimp being munched on as it lay on the bottom. I thought one must have died and fish are eating. THEN... Last night I saw one of my angels with one 3/4 of the way in his mouth. I called my son to come see and he says "Yeah, I saw them doing that before". :icon_roll

As I search for any lone survivors, I put out a caution to all that think your situtaition is different.... Think again and think about the $2 per snack it will cost you! Shrimp plus med-large Angels and/or Clowns do not mix!

The Angel growth keeps up, I fear the cardinal tetras may be next!!

Later,

Ted

·
Banned
418 Posts
I knew all these post about Fish+Shrimp where probably more of luck than anything! Thanks for the heads up I actually almost put my shrimp in a community tank with the 8 Angels before reading post like this!

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I've probably said this 1000000000000 times. Shrimp and fish don't mix, Generally. Some smaller fish are OK, but I personally don't take chances. No fish that can eat shrimp in my tanks.

When you put shrimp in a community tank you need to weigh the conisquences maybe they will be fine, but they probably wont. What are you going to do take your chances? Or stay safe?

I'm going to stay safe.... Because as soon as the other fish learn how to hunt the shrimp, they're screwed.

-Andrew

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is amazing is that these Angels are now hunting the area of the Shrimp like wolves. All teamed up around the Java Moss hideaway. Poor things (not sure if still plural...) don't stand a chance.

I guess once they taste fresh shrimp, it is all over. Guess feeding them shrimp pellets since nickle size didn't help either..

Ted

·
Registered
780 Posts
Angels are predators by nature, the cardinals will certainly be on the menu when they grow large enough. I once had a half-black veiltail in a community tank. I added some young black neon tetras, and the half-grown angel started right on them. I isolated the angel in a net breeder, thinking to keep it there until the small tetras grew a little larger. The angel went on a hunger strike, and refused to eat even after being released from the net breeder. I was watching the tank a day or so later, and saw the black color start disappearing from the end of its tail fin. When the color loss reached the tail itself, (less than a minute) the angel dropped dead.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should have remembered the verosity of the Angel. When I was in my mid-teens, I had a 29g with two that grew very big. I can remember the one dominant Angel would tilt sideways and go full tilt at prey or someone that pissed him off.

Well, getting off topic for Shrimp area....

Ted

·
Registered
930 Posts
Sorry for the hi-jack! I didnt want to start another thread about fish and shrimp combo. I have had discus, angels, and shrimp before in previous setups and found ou the hard way that amano shrimp or any shrimp for that matter are easy bait.

How would mixxing little community fish like tetras with shrimp work out?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I have a school of tetra and a booming shrimp population <now that my Bosemani is out of the picture> They get along famously, as does my featherfin rainbows, SAE and otos and kuhli loaches. No problems here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts