The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm finally starting to get my feet wet in the realm of DIY mixing and dosing and I've seen a ton of info out there with regards to target fert levels within a tank. Up to this point I've typically just dosed an All-in-one EI fert (Thrive+), but I've learned that often with the All-In-Ones you still can end up lacking things like Mg.

With that said, I've got my first set of Macros/Micros salts and was wondering what a strong baseline target would be for fert mixing initially. I would of course change things gradually over time dependent on plant health.

I've read Dennis Wong's site about nutrient deficiencies where he discusses that he personally would not exceed the following levels in a tank over the course of a week:
K - 50ppm
NO3 - 50ppm
PO4 - 10ppm
Mg- 10ppm
Fe/traces - 4ppm

But then later he states that he has a high tech/high light tank up running with the following numbers:
K - 19ppm
NO3 - 7.7ppm
PO4 - 3.4ppm
Mg - 2ppm
Fe/traces - 0.15ppm

PPS Pro also baselines at these values for higher light setups:
K - 36ppm
NO3 - 28.3ppm
PO4 - 2.8ppm
Mg - 2.8ppm
Fe/traces - 1.4ppm

Obviously these are pretty big swings in numbers from a dosing perspective, and I was curious is what anyone else typically targets, and if there is a central source on a lot of this documentation. I tried to find some info on Tom Barr's site but was relatively unsuccessful. Is leaner dosing more successful than EI with higher lighting setups? What would be good target values to begin with?

I am running a high tech (CO2 30+ppm), high-lighting setup (50+ par at the substrate) with 50% water changes once a week and a medium-heavy planting density.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
You might peruse this thread

It's got various versions of a spreadsheet in which several users shared their dosing in a consistent way (weekly ppm).

Hasn't been updated for a while, but still incredibly useful I think!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might peruse this thread

It's got various versions of a spreadsheet in which several users shared their dosing in a consistent way (weekly ppm).

Hasn't been updated for a while, but still incredibly useful I think!
That's fantastic, I had done a search previously but that thread didn't pop up. Super useful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.