The Planted Tank Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday July 7th we will be removing TapATalk from the forum and replacing it with a mobile style.

This has become necessary due to security risks inherent in 3rd party software that we have no control over and a lack of our options when it comes to controlling what and how it displays content. Plus our mobile theme is free for you...tapatalk is not!

For those that are curious in the month of May over 20% of our visitors were on a mobile device!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Ah unfortunate. Safari isn't quick on my phone but tapatalk definitely is. This will cut down on the amount of time I spend on here considerably.

·
Premium Member
13,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah unfortunate. Safari isn't quick on my phone but tapatalk definitely is. This will cut down on the amount of time I spend on here considerably.
A large part of that is because mobile phones struggle to process complex html pages like our forum. The mobile style will significantly reduce the amount of processing your phone has to do and thus significantly speed up the site in your browser.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Nice! Great move/idea! I never could get into tapatalk after trying it for a few months. I havent had any problems with safari, it has been fine to load but then again, I'm pretty much always around wifi anyways. It's just the pics in the threads that can sometimes take awhile and most of those are because of external links and no fault of TPT.

Anyways, looking forward to seeing the mobile site!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm brand new to TPT, but FWIW, I'll miss TapaTalk. I find that I tend to use those forums (both business and pleasure) that have Tapatalk access. As much time is spent on mobile devices, It will unfortunately cut down on the amount of time I spend on TPT.

I wasn't unaware of any additional security concerns with Tapatalk. I do understand controlling content - especially display of ads is difficult.

·
Banned
4,901 Posts
Will the mobile site be ready on the 7th also?

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"

·
Registered
62 Posts
Understandable; I do like Tapatalk and never have had trouble. Hopefully the mobile 'version' will work effectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
Good choice IMO, however, for those hatin' on the choice, maybe in the future an app made just for TPT would be better? You could then have it for free, or $.99 and support the forum in yet another way, and make everyone happy. It would take a lot of time to do, I know, but just a thought.

·
Banned
4,901 Posts
I use tapatalk, ill miss it but you got to do what ya got to do.
Regular site loads fine on my phone. So the mobile will be quick hopefully!

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
The question is also how easy/quick it will be to parse the forums - check your favorite subforums, the threads you've participated in, [strike]PM notifications[/strike], etc.

I wondered how long it would take Tapatalk to eat into ad revenue to the point it became counterproductive for site hosts.

·
Registered
730 Posts
This isn't good. I use this forum so much on Tapatalk, but I will probably be on here less now. Mobile sites, though better than the desktop version, have nothing on Tapatalk. Eh, not my decision.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.