The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have always used RO for my aquariums for years, I don’t have the space for my own RO system so I get it from my local aquarium shop for around £3 per 25L which is fine, only need about 50L pw.

Have recently started mixing 50/50 with tap water to remineralise.

But now I’m thinking maybe going for straight tap water, obviously with the conditioners etc.

What parameters are most important for tap water? Will get home shortly and use my test kit on tap but just wondering if I need to get anymore tests, currently have the API Mastér, GH,KH & Phosphate tests

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Test for Ammonnia and nitrates. It's not uncommon to have them in municipal water supplies.

Test for pH, GH and KH.

What fish are in the tank? They have been living in RO water for years, so I would transition them gradually. Make sure that the tap water and the fish's needs are compatible.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven’t got any livestock in the tank I plan to do first, cycling that tank now, that’s the main tank which I gave all the livestock away last week In order to fully recycle and rescape that tank. I have a Betta that has always been on 50/50 and also turtles which have been on pure RO then onto 50/50 for about 6-8 months or so.

I’ll post test results today at some point when I get the chance. For me the reason I went onto RO was because I’d always end up with a build up of white around the rims of the tank, calcium I believe it is. But now I’m tempted to go back due to being able to just attach a hose to the kitchen tap and do water changes in minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts