The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out all the water parameters for my tap water. Which leads me to a broad question of: what does it all mean? Here is the chart..... lots of stuff in here. Can anybody look at this and make sense of it? Anything I should be worried about? Anything I should be grateful for? Are there "ideal" levels of stuff like sodium, manganese, phosphorus, etc etc etc, against which I can compare my tap water levels? Thanks for any insights!

alkalinity: 47ppm
aluminum: 30ppb
Ammonia: 0.52ppm (as nitrogen)
chloride: 32ppm
hardness: 6.7gpg (calcium carbonate)
iron: 11ppb
Manganese: 10ppb
pH: 7.9
phosphorus: 16ppb
silica: 5.5ppm
sodium: 9.8ppm
sulfate: 31.4ppm

·
Registered
747 Posts
alkalinity: 47ppm
aluminum: 30ppb
Ammonia: 0.52ppm (as nitrogen)
chloride: 32ppm
hardness: 6.7gpg (calcium carbonate)
iron: 11ppb
Manganese: 10ppb
pH: 7.9
phosphorus: 16ppb
silica: 5.5ppm
sodium: 9.8ppm
sulfate: 31.4ppm
Alkalinity: Buffering ability of your water. Yours is great - on the low side but there is still some (47ppm is just less than 3dKH).

Ammonia: likely your water system adds chloramine which releases ammonia. Use something like Prime to dechlorinate and you'll be fine here.
Hardness: 6.7gpg (hate that unit - grains per gallon!) Multiply by 17 to get ppm. So your water is moderately hard - plenty of calcium and magnesium in there. That's fine but some fish may not spawn properly in hard water.
The rest are really irrelevant or so low they are good - pH will vary once the water sits out and might change with the seasons as well.

Kevin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts