The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My tap water has .25 ppm ammonia. My tank also has .25 Ammonia. I use Prime, during every water change. Just cleaned out my filters (with tank water, left 1 of the sponges with some sludge, filters are working full strength.
40 gallon long.
2 Aqua clear 50's.... 400 gph
heavily planted.
50 % WC X 1/week.
Root tabs.
Low light.
Have cut down feeding during the past month to see if I could get ammonia to 0.
9 Bloodfin tetras
4 cherry barbs (had 5 more, but returned what I could catch...Males chased everyone around)
8 Peppered Cory's,
2 super red BN Plecos (3 inches)
3 Otos.
3 Ghost shrimp
6 Assasin snails.

AMMONIA - .25 ppm
NITRITE- 0
Nitrate 5 PPM
PH - 8.2
OFF the charts hard water.

How do I get ammonia to 0? Should I but some Tetra safestart.... might my tank not have enough good bacteria to counter the ammonia? (Don't really know what I am talking about, but thought I read something like that.
Thanks.

I WAS Using tap + prime to fill up the HOB filters to get them started up untill a month ago. could that of killed beneficial bacteria?I now use tank water

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If it is that low, personally I would not worry too much about it. A mature tank should be able to process that amount of ammonia in a couple of hours.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I would question the accuracy if your test. Maybe test some bottled water and see if you get the same result.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
With the reading that low I would just watch it to make sure it does not go higher.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
If your tap water is only .25 ammonia and you're using Prime, I feel you have very little to concern yourself about. The use of Prime renders the ammonia to near harmless ammonium, and any adverse effect on your fish in your tank would be nil, or near nil.
(Note: you will still likely get an ammonia reading from testing, but it's ammonium.)

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
If your tap water is only .25 ammonia and you're using Prime, I feel you have very little to concern yourself about. The use of Prime renders the ammonia to near harmless ammonium, and any adverse effect on your fish in your tank would be nil, or near nil.
(Note: you will still likely get an ammonia reading from testing, but it's ammonium.)
The wonders of prime :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts