The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been out of the shrimp game for awhile. My last place had 220 TDS tap water and I used a RO system and I used powders, magic sl or something I can't remember to bring up the tds and other parameters to suit the Caridina shrimp, while my red cherries did fine with plain tap. My new place has tap of 90 TDS, but is also has a pH around 7.4 I know they need lower pH, but I remember reading a few people with success in higher pH tanks. Would CRS have a chance of survival with this tap water or should I spare their lives and just get some neos?

Edit: I just checked my tap with my pool test strips and it reads between 6.8-7.2

·
Super Moderator
15,758 Posts
Probably best to go with Neos until you can provide proper parameters for Caridina.

Once you pick up a new test kit, let us know what kH and gH you're working with. Because it still may be possible with an active/buffering substrate, though that's not something I'd recommend.

Do you have access to an RO/DI filter or maybe RO/DI water? Because that would change everything for you.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably best to go with Neos until you can provide proper parameters for Caridina.

Once you pick up a new test kit, let us know what kH and gH you're working with. Because it still may be possible with an active/buffering substrate, though that's not something I'd recommend.

Do you have access to an RO/DI filter or maybe RO/DI water? Because that would change everything for you.
Yea I can get a RO/DI filter, but I'm trying to keep this tank cheap and lazy. I'll definitely pick up the kh/gh test kits and look up what they need to be for CRS. But getting the water filter, means I gotta get buffering substrate and the minerals for the water and that'll add up pretty quick. I love this hobby but I forgot how expensive it can be starting from scratch. I've almost spent $1000 and I haven't even bought the flora and fauna yet.

Yea I can get a RO/DI filter, but I'm trying to keep this tank cheap and lazy. I'll definitely pick up the kh/gh test kits and look up what they need to be for CRS. But getting the water filter, means I gotta get buffering substrate and the minerals for the water and that'll add up pretty quick. I love this hobby but I forgot how expensive it can be starting from scratch. I've almost spent $1000 and I haven't even bought the flora and fauna yet.
Man that didn't take long. If it's one thing I remember about this hobby is that taking shortcuts are not gonna save me any time or money in the long run. Welp, time to shop for an ro filter/active substrate and some shrimp minerals. What's another $100-150 when I'm already in this deep, lol. My wife did say I could spend whatever I need to spend 😬

·
Super Moderator
15,758 Posts
Man that didn't take long. If it's one thing I remember about this hobby is that taking shortcuts are not gonna save me any time or money in the long run. Welp, time to shop for an ro filter/active substrate and some shrimp minerals. What's another $100-150 when I'm already in this deep, lol. My wife did say I could spend whatever I need to spend 😬
It flat-out sucks. But on the positive side? An RO/DI system will last you ages and substrate at least 2-3 years - if not longer. I won't promote it here because customer service basically does not exist for the seller... but if you want to send me a private message, I'll direct you to where I've purchased my favorite cheap RO/DI system. They've got an eBay store so you have buyer protection. I've had their cheap filter inserts last as long as 2 years and have been using one of their systems pretty much weekly since 2010.

Air Water Ice and Bulk Reef Supply are both retailers you should check out if you don't want to cheap out but also don't want to break the bank. Google reviews of them to help make your decision.

I like Salty Shrimp GH+ for remineralization salts when keeping Caridina. But you can also make your own for CHEAP. I'll find my recipe I have posted somewhere on the forum if you want.

For substrate, you have a ton of options. Some I like in order of my favorites: ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia, SL Aqua, UP Aqua Shrimp Sand, UP Aqua Sand, Brightwell stuff, Controsoil (contrary to the hypsters on Instagram, this stuff is only worth it if it's on sale), the UP Aqua stuff meant for planted tanks, Neo Soil. Fluval stuff is only acceptable if you're in an emergency or just don't need a high-end product. There are others on the market, so be sure to shop around.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It flat-out sucks. But on the positive side? An RO/DI system will last you ages and substrate at least 2-3 years - if not longer. I won't promote it here because customer service basically does not exist for the seller... but if you want to send me a private message, I'll direct you to where I've purchased my favorite cheap RO/DI system. They've got an eBay store so you have buyer protection. I've had their cheap filter inserts last as long as 2 years and have been using one of their systems pretty much weekly since 2010.

Air Water Ice and Bulk Reef Supply are both retailers you should check out if you don't want to cheap out but also don't want to break the bank. Google reviews of them to help make your decision.

I like Salty Shrimp GH+ for remineralization salts when keeping Caridina. But you can also make your own for CHEAP. I'll find my recipe I have posted somewhere on the forum if you want.

For substrate, you have a ton of options. Some I like in order of my favorites: ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia, SL Aqua, UP Aqua Shrimp Sand, UP Aqua Sand, Brightwell stuff, Controsoil (contrary to the hypsters on Instagram, this stuff is only worth it if it's on sale), the UP Aqua stuff meant for planted tanks, Neo Soil. Fluval stuff is only acceptable if you're in an emergency or just don't need a high-end product. There are others on the market, so be sure to shop around.
Yea I just ordered a small RO filter good for 50 gallon a day which is good enough for the 20 gallon I plan to set up. I was gonna use salty shrimp and brightwell substrate since I've had used them in the past with success. Any recommendations for shrimp? I've been out of the hobby for the last two years and it seems a lot has changed, mainly the forums being dead and everyone moving on to social media. I saw some cheap CRS on ebay for like 10 for $38 shipped which seems hard to beat.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Was gonna say.... what about some tiger shrimp? Could be kept in Neo or Caridina parameters.

You could get shrimp from some members of this forum or through some trusted online resources. I've purchased some I found via a FB group.

·
Super Moderator
15,758 Posts
Any recommendations for shrimp?
There are quite a few members of this forum who keep great shrimp and sell them regularly. If you post a Want To Buy thread, you'll likely hear from some of them.

If it were me? I'd keep good old Crystal Red Shrimp. I'm biased because they're my absolute favorite. If not them, though, then maybe one of the wild types of Bee Shrimp. There are a ton of fancy shrimp in the hobby these days but the tried and true old school varieties are the most impressive, in my opinion. They're always the stars of any tank they're in.

Golden/Snow White are another terrific option. You can find them from several sources but they're truly a rarity in the hobby. Look through my 3gal long journal if you want to see how gorgeous they are.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are quite a few members of this forum who keep great shrimp and sell them regularly. If you post a Want To Buy thread, you'll likely hear from some of them.

If it were me? I'd keep good old Crystal Red Shrimp. I'm biased because they're my absolute favorite. If not them, though, then maybe one of the wild types of Bee Shrimp. There are a ton of fancy shrimp in the hobby these days but the tried and true old school varieties are the most impressive, in my opinion. They're always the stars of any tank they're in.

Golden/Snow White are another terrific option. You can find them from several sources but they're truly a rarity in the hobby. Look through my 3gal long journal if you want to see how gorgeous they are.
I've keep blue bolts, oebt, tt and almost every color neo but the CRS is still my favorite. That red and white combo just pops in tanks especially when they're the higher grades. I'll definitely post in the WTB when the time comes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts