The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am boiling some driftwood that I bought online. A lot of tannins leeching out. Anyone have an opinion on what the effect of tannins are on algae growth in tanks? I have a tetra and amano tank so I feel confident the tannins and water softening won’t harm them, but I am constantly changing the water and clearing away green algae and brown fuzzy algae (not diatoms) so wondering if tannins will accelerate that?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think the affect of tannins on water quality and algae is negligible. Especially when it comes to regular water change and the amount of light. No matter what, if the light is bright and the nutrients are available. There will be some amount of algae somewhere. Personally never saw a difference in the algae I had whether rich with tannin or not and I run dirt. Tannins don't really harm anything and there is some benefit to actually having some tannin levels.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.