The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up a 5 gallon with some Taiwan moss, I placed a piece of mopani wood in there without soaking it so it is leaching tannins, personally I don't mind the look. My question is will the tannins affect the moss growth adversely? I know most mosses appreciate slightly acidic conditions so my gut is that it won't matter. Unless the tannins also really reduce the light penetration? I have an 8watt wave point 6500k on the fluval chi 5 gallon about 2" above the waters surface.

Any input will be helpful, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have a 10G tank that the water is always tea colored. I have moss on my wodd and it looks like a tree now I and I always have to trim it. Tannins dont seem to affect moss or plant growth. As a matter of fact I am moving my stuff to a bigger tank because the 10g looks like a jungle now.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I hate that Mopani is the only wood I can find for my tanks locally. That stuff just never stops leaching tannins.
Did you know that dried Mopani worms are considered a delicacy in South Africa?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I hate that Mopani is the only wood I can find for my tanks locally. That stuff just never stops leaching tannins.
Did you know that dried Mopani worms are considered a delicacy in South Africa?
I found using Purigen keeps the tank completely free of tannins if you double dose it.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I actually like the color the tannins give the water. My tap water ph is 8.4 and the tank which has been setup since the end of Sept stays at about 8 consistently. I have had any issues with ph yet. I do bi-weekly water changes of 30% and no top offs as that tank has very little evaporation.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Yeah, I just used carbon until it started clearing up. It is not very pronounced but things do look whiter and crisper after water changes still.
I have had pieces of Mopani that were still leaching after more than a year, in fact the dark bits have a tendency to go soft and messy...
Makes for some really beautiful crafts though, I have a Mopani cane I bought in Zambia back in 2000.

With our currency at the moment before elections, purigen might as well be purigold.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I like the tannin look, but hopefully it will eventually clear up. If not, oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I had bought driftwood sold as kola I from eBay and just boiled the [censor] out of it, probably 12 hours or more. Each hour I dumped and refilled water. No tannins issues ^^

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
also known as the most expensive stick ever. :)
With energy cost these days.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts