The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using one of those metal Manhattan stands from Petco for my 40 breeder tank which is really sturdy.

I was just wondering, since they're the same footprint, would it be okay to put a 50 gallon tall tank on it? Or maybe even a 65 gallon? the 65 would probably be pushing it, though.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Do you mean the Brooklyn metal stands?
The weak point of those stands are the 90 degree angles. The cross pieces are held together with internally anchored bolts and the metal used in the cross and uprights is sheet metal only. If you could cross brace it without reducing the integrity of the cross and uprights then you will have strengthened it considerably from leaning and collapsing.
If you are going to go from a 40 to a 65 you may want to consider a better stand.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I don't have one of those stands and can only go by the pic. The stand will hold a great deal of weight up but is it laterally strong? Does the top of it easily move if you push sideways on it?
What was the stand you have rated for? A standard 40g breeder has a 36"x18" footprint and none of those stands have those dimensions so which one do you have, the 30"x12.5" which is rated for 29g or the 48"x13.5" which is rated for 55g? You don't have the 10g do you?
Maybe you have a 40g long which is 48"x13" which has the same footprint as a std 55g and therefore have the larger stand. If so it will hold up the 55g no problem but you have to decide about the lateral stability yourself based on the feel of the stand. Also consider the location and its vulnerability to being knocked laterally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.