The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I gave one of my ten gallons to a friend and her child dumped a glass of milk in the tank. the fish all survived after a large water change the next morning.

·
Registered
263 Posts
We should just get rid of the kids lol just playing...my 17 month old loves the aquarium as much as I do but every now and then I have to remind him not to smack the glass and scare the fishes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
my kid had a 10g in her room for a year, worst was she drew on the tank with crayon and used it for princess stickers :)

i think those wall supprt dealios are important with kids...and tanks

·
Registered
430 Posts
My younger sister once put bubble bath in the tank because she thought the fish needed "to get clean". Too funny!(now) but the fish obviously didn't like it...they all died shortly after.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i found pennies and something in the tank in their room once. other than that, they're good with keeping out of trouble as far as the tanks are concerned. the pennies did explain a lot, though.

EDIT: i'm now reminded of "the crayon phase". ugh... that was the worst...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My younger sister once put bubble bath in the tank because she thought the fish needed "to get clean". Too funny!(now) but the fish obviously didn't like it...they all died shortly after.
Yes, explain your child that fish don't need a bath or they don't need soap to be clean.

When I was 2, I emptied a whole soap bottle in my dads fish tank.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I posted this since I recently out a doaqua mini l on a 24" stand in the living room. I am one of those worrying types of parents. She has been great so far.

We are about to build her a custom bed cave like thinghy with a build in tank. I am thinking of using a 20 long but will frame into the shelving for safety.

Just looking for what has happened so I can put in controls.

So closed top and maybe clear vinyl on the outside for easy crayon removal.

·
Registered
107 Posts
baby wipes work amazin on crayons....or hair dryer and sponge it off with walls :) i just used a razor and it came off fine.

keep fish food high, and the top of tank out of reach. attach shelf/whatever to wall via a strap you can get at home depot

·
Registered
393 Posts
Lost a bunch of fishies today. Someone bumped the CO2 Reg, pretty sure it was the 2 yr old, and one of the needle valves was shooting out a solid stream of CO2. Gassed some fish but most survived.

Craig

ask him haha just happened a few days ago i think or yesterday

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have 4 kids ranging from 10-3 and I am always worried about my tank lol. Hubby is building me a better stand for the 40gal. when he goes on vaca in December because the metal stands just don't work on this plush carpeting. The tank wiggles when they all run into the living room and I am so worried it is gonna come crashing down.

I have had no major issues, once in awhile my youngest will put one of her toys in the tank for the "fishy's to play with" but other than that they are all pretty good about both my tank and their tank.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I have three kids 6y/o son and 3y/o and 1y/o daughters. The girls share a room and their tank is on top of a dresser out of their reach.
My sons tank also sits on top of a dresser but it is lower. The day after the tanks were cycled and fish were added I hear splashing. Sure enough my daughter is in my sons room chasing the fish with her hand.
That was the only time we've had a problem.
My 125g in the living room is really to big for them to mess with, and the 55g in the office is to high for them to mess with. The only worry I really have is when they are running through the house the 55g will shake a little. Haven't figured out a way to secure it better to keep from shaking.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
My 3 year old dumped a whole thing of food in my 5gal tank.

she killed one of my bee shrimp after pulling out moss With tweezers. I came up to check on my fish found the moss floating free in the tank and one dead shrimp. it was a freak thing.

This one I was impressed with. When we were moveing i had fish in rubber made containers. She got a net and caught one of my fish. I was standing right there but did not even see her do it. My back was turned and I was setting up a tank. I turn around and there she is with a fish in the net. The fish was a little banged up but fine.

She has draws on my tanks with crayons.

I was draining my tank she moved the hose water all over the place.

So yeah you need to watch out with kids and tanks. But my daughter loves the fish she loves to try and help me do fish tank stuff. All and all tanks are good for kids.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Thank goodness I don't have kids! :hihi:

I do have a pug that likes to put territorial mark the tanks' stands :angryfire

Growing up, my dad had aquariums (mostly planted) all over the living room. I was always helping with feeding or checking for baby fish :biggrin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts