The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member first post, though I've observed for quite some time.

I have mostly finished setting up my 75 gal planted tank.

As soon as my tank is done cycling, my 3 Senegalus will be home sweet home. 1 male and 2 females between 7 and 10 inches.

I plan on adding 2 Black Ghost Knife, 1 Striped Raphael Cat, 1 Rope Fish, 1 or 2 Clown Loach (I'd like to do 2 or 3 Botia Loaches instead but i don't think that's a good idea) and possibly 2 adult Siamese Algae Eaters(questionable). They will not all be added at once of course but so far that is the plan.

Opinions/Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Pictures soon.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
You would probably get more useful information on the MonsterFish forum as those are commonly kept fish/community stock tanks.

Most people will probably tell you a 75 gallon is way too small for the monster fish you are interested in. Probably even for just the 3 Bichirs you already have. I'm not talking about overstocking issues, I mean just space wise, but you can get more experienced advice from others. They might be okay right now, but at full size a bigger tank is recommended.

If I remember correctly, Bichirs can get 24" long (decent girth too) and Clown Loaches can get 24" long and really tall at that.

The fish you did mention though I have heard of them all being kept together successfully. The loaches though (clowns or other botia), really do like being in groups of at least 5. Stockwise, they all should work as long as they are purchased at appropriate sizes so they won't be eaten.

Haven't heard of SAE in monster tanks, but should be possible if you get them big enough.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh ok, I'll do that. The Senegalus should stay under 14 inches if I'm not mistaken and the ghost knife and clown grow very slowly and I could part ways or upgrade tank size in a few years.

Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Clown loaches are shoaling fish and absolutely must be kept in groups of at least 6, but you don't have enough space for them. They can actually grow pretty fast, so you'd either have to get them tiny and risk them being eaten or upgrade very quickly.
It's not wise to buy fish that are going to outgrow your tank unless a new tank is already in the works. Not just planned, in the works.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Go with the ropefish and striped raphael and you're good. The other fish either get too large or will be eaten by the bichirs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts