The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really could use some help eradicating my hair algae. My specs seem fine to me and I’ve tried everything I can think of.

Info:
20gH
2217 Eheim
T5HO 48w resting on glass lid, on for 7 hrs
Pressurized CO2, drop checker lime green, plants pearling

PH: 7
GH/KH: both 4
Nitrates: 10ppm
Phosphates: 2ppm
TDS: 225

EI Dosing: PH04, KN03, CSM+B and a little additional iron

Yes, I shake my nitrate test very well and my phosphate test kit is calibrated. What gives? I try the hardest at this tank and it has the most algae. I have a 10g grow out tank that is doing great. Lights are on much longer and it only has DIY CO2 and Flourish once a week.

Of course I need help finding the source of the problem, but in the meantime would overdosing Excel help get rid of it? I use a toothbrush everyday, but it is not good enough. If Excel would help, I’m a bit rusty on the OD. Do I just do a double dose everyday?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
OHmm, sorry to hear about that.

How much hair algae are we talking about ? Is there a specific plant that gets colonized ? Or a specific part of the aquarium ?

Without knowing much about your setup I would start playing with ligth-flow-CO2. Lower the light duration / intensity. Bring CO2 up. Increase water flow and wait some time. The response of the system is not always imediate. I would not lower any nutrients.

In my case, sometimes I get some hairalgae when plants are suffering. I have some plants that I am strugling with and algae almost always starts there, seems the ol' 'Focus on growing healthy plants and algae will not be a problem' is still true. Another observation is that hair algae tended to be strongest in the place where fish food was falling... changed my flow pattern and the algae was gone from there.

Liquid CO2 might affect some plants and not have a big effect on the hair algae.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s affecting everything (pics below). I recently redid the tank, so the plants are still growing in, so the state of it certainly isn't how I plan the outcome. I have had this problem before, but only in EI tanks. I wonder if, though the nutrient levels appear to be in check, if those ideal levels are for someone whose tank is heavily planted. I’ve dialed back the ferts in the past week to see if that is the problem, but the hair algae is growing as fast as ever, no change. I also have some GSA on the glass, which I am surprised I have at 2ppm of PHO4. Could I be overfeeding the tank with nutrients? I can dial back the lighting, although the 7hrs I use doesn’t seem that extreme. Lime green drop checker on top of Excel overdose isn’t touching it. I only have a Gourami and two Ottos and feed sparingly, so that isn’t the issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.