The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a guy trying to sell a 75 G standard size (i beleive 48"x18"x24") with stand...i think i may be able to present him with $150 and he wouldn't be able to resist. Just wondering if this is a good deal or if i should try to get him lower. Of course the condition of everything will impact the worth of this equipment...i would see it in person, verify leak test, stand strength. so far i know that it is an Oceanic brand tank...anyone have experiences with these kind of aquariums?

Thanks.

·
Registered
283 Posts
You should find out what type of other equipment will be coming with the tank.

If the tank comes with a reasonable light fixture and filter, then it sounds like a solid deal to me. If you are talking about the tank and stand only then it still sounds like a good deal as long as both are in great shape. That is a lot of glass to clean if it's covered in scum.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, i wouldnt want anything like the light, filter or anything else because its not ideal equipment for a planted tank. so, if there are any scratches or anything, and only getting the tank and stand, you would ask to buy for less than $150?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Like most things location is important. In mid Michigan unless the lights are high tech, $150.00 is asking not selling for a 75. Smaller only sells after people have made a trip to Petco, Petsmart, etc. and checked out the retail prices. The one good LFS can still get retail, but a lot of the ads on Craig's list say "we paid $xxxx.xx at the LFS so we think this is a steal at 25% off that". They'd be better off if someone did steal it from them.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Oceanic are suppose to be higher end tanks than the standard All-Glass or other types tanks. The edges and silicon should be very well done. The front might even be starphire glass. If it is drilled with overflows that adds value. $150 is a good deal for the tank and stand. If you have to do lots of scrubbing, it will take you time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
turns out the guy was very careless and screwed his tank. he used a magnet glass cleaner but failed to remove the small sand grains from the teeth of the scrubber and the glass was scratched to hell. it could have been possible that the back of the tank was non-scratched and i could have just used it as the front, while painting the scratched side black and using it as the rear...but, the back was so loaded with scum you could not see through it so the only way to tell would be to scrub for a while and see. that wasnt happening so i passed on it. after all, clear glass is a must. our hobby is visual. the stand wasn't bad and i offered him $75 and he said yes but then i decided to keep looking. There are a ton of aquariums on craigslist and i dont think there are many people looking to buy. definitely more sellers than buyers so i have the upper hand. i love the 75's dimensions and wayyyy cheaper than a 120P. I would really like the ada tank but 600 bucks is no bueno.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was kind of worried about scum.

Most used tanks I have looked or bought are covered in scum. I have picked up several for reptile keeping, many that had cracked sides or broken bottoms. The advantage I had with most of the ones I picked up is that I did not need them to hold water, only a thin layer of aspen bedding.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I just sold my old 45 gallon tank with a very nice DIY, solid wood stand, with an electrical panel in it, GFCI protected, for $25. This just isn't a good time to sell a used tank, and maybe not a brand new one either. I notice that our craigslist here is loaded with tanks and stands, of all sizes, some good deals, most from dreamers. I even tried to give that 45 gallon tank away on FreeCycle, to a teacher for classroom tank - he turned it down!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you are right hoppy about the dreamers. i see many people asking the same as what they paid or asking for 500+ while mentioning that they dropped 1400 into it or the similar. kinda funny. it never hurts to give them a low ball offer though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts