The Planted Tank Forum banner

Tank Update! Pictures + Questions

234 2
Hello everyone! I'm back again with some pictures of my tank as well as some questions!
Tank Info:
3 months old, cycled
hygger 16W Full Spectrum Aquarium Light
20 Gallon Long
Sponge Filter & 20 Gal Heater
Black Aquarium Sand & Organic Potting Soil mix
Java Fern, Pearlweed, Java moss, and Water Wisteria.
Currently home to 6 Otocinclus catfish!

After the wonderful interactions I had on this website the last time, I figured I would update everyone on my tanks progress. So far everything is going alright, my otocinclus catfish have been in the tank for around a month and they are doing okay. I love seeing them come out of hiding when I turn the lights down. I read that if they live past a month they have a good shot at living a long life, although I have noticed that I never actually see them eat the food I give them. I have been trying to feed them zucchini twice a week but it's hard to tell if they actually eat it. There is a lot of algae growth on everything but the glass itself which they seem to love. Also some pond snails invaded my tank from the plants I ordered and I don't want them eating all the algae! I know I probably should've asked my LFS what they fed them but I forgot to. I need to know if it is possible to add more otos. I am still planning on adding shrimp, and I wanted to know if it would be a good idea to add two more or to just keep it at 6. I love these fish and I would love to own more of them!

As for the shrimp, I am planning on purchasing 20 neos in around a month to see how they do and if they thrive I am planning on adding a lot more. Would this be the best way to go about introducing shrimp to the tank? Should I wait until there is more plant growth? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

This is just a smaller issue I have but there is a lot of evaporation going on in my tank, I have to top it off once every week. I've never owned a tank this big before is this just something I have to get used to? Could it be my light, it's very close to the top of the water as you can see in the picture. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

Lastly, I added pearlweed and water wisteria to the tank. The pearlweed was worrying me for a while but i added some weekly Seachem Flourish and now I'm seeing some progress slowly but surely. As for the Water Wisteria, I ordered it from BucePlant and it's looking a little rough. The Wisteria itself lost a ton of leaves and looks like its either melting or dying. I don't really know how to save it. Is there a possibility that the plants weren't grown fully submerged and it has to adapt to being submerged?

Pictures:
My pearlweed is coming back after a few rough weeks, there is even some new growth!
Water Wisteria Im talking about is to the right!

My pearlweed I thought was dead is making a full recovery! Even some sproutlings!
Plant Terrestrial plant White horehound Flowering plant Horehound

Full tank shot!
Water Plant Organism Pet supply Aquatic plant

Oto pictures!!
Plant Flower Botany Terrestrial plant Leaf vegetable
Plant Terrestrial plant Leaf vegetable Aquatic plant Wood
Water Bedrock Wood Formation Landscape

Please let me know If there is any information i'm missing and let me know what you think of the tank! I'd love to answer as many questions as I can. Thank you!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
As for the shrimp, I am planning on purchasing 20 neos in around a month to see how they do and if they thrive I am planning on adding a lot more. Would this be the best way to go about introducing shrimp to the tank? Should I wait until there is more plant growth? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!
As long as your water chemistry is good you could safely add 20 shrimp. They should reproduce and have a nice colony in a few months. I always drip acclimate my new shrimp for an hour or so until the temperatures are the same. I wouldn't worry about the amount of plants for them.

The Wisteria itself lost a ton of leaves and looks like its either melting or dying. I don't really know how to save it. Is there a possibility that the plants weren't grown fully submerged and it has to adapt to being submerged?
You are correct in thinking the Wisteria was grown emersed. Give it time and it should convert into its aquatic form and get BIG. :)

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As long as your water chemistry is good you could safely add 20 shrimp. They should reproduce and have a nice colony in a few months. I always drip acclimate my new shrimp for an hour or so until the temperatures are the same. I wouldn't worry about the amount of plants for them.

You are correct in thinking the Wisteria was grown emersed. Give it time and it should convert into its aquatic form and get BIG. :)
That’s great! Im relieved that they are going to be okay. I was just worried because I’ve never grown it before. Thank you for your reply!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts