The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started to take care of a 55 gallon freshwater tank at my place of employment. I am not quite sure who was originally taking care of this tank but it has some major issues. Particularly with its fish stocking levels. Not to mention it was and still is a major eyesore. But back to the fish. I will list the list of fish that this tank has in it. (remember I put none of these fish in here:icon_frow)

- 2 Siamese Algae Eater
- 1 Golden Siamese Algae Eater
- 2 Bristle Nose Plecostomus
- 3 Sail-fin Pleconstomus (around 10 inches a piece)
- 2 Otto catfish
- 1 Dojo loach
- 2 Unknown loaches
~ 14 Platys
- 4 Black fin tetras
- 6 Dyed "yellow/lemon" tetras
- 5 zebra danios

There might be more fish in there I find more every time I look into the tank!!!:icon_evil

I am thinking about setting up my 140 gallon stock tank for the 3 sail fin plecos. And maybe some of the other "bottom feeders" that the tank is filled with.

I don't think anybody in the area will or can give these fish the care they deserve. And I can't keep taking these fish in. Am I going to have to look into a way to euthanize some of these fish?:icon_frow:help:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would say if you where anywhere near the bay area and didn't want those catfish I'd be more than willing to take them off your hands haha I simply love them.
The catfish I am not so worried about. It is the Plecos. I might go to one of my local pet stores and talk to them about maybe taking the plecos. I know one of the stores has a couple 300 gallon show tanks with dual Fluval FX5s on them and some big central american cichlids. Maybe they would be willing if I explained the circumstances.:proud:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another question. I am going to go work on the tank tomorrow and I am taking on a large task. I have been planning for a while to do a complete tank rebuild. I am planning on putting a 10 gallon and a 14 gallon tank underneath the 55 gallon tank and moving the fish (except for the plecos. I am going to try to re house them) down to these tank with filters with filter media from there cycled tank running on the two tanks. Will the fish be okay in these tanks until next weekend?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
If you get rid of the plecos, you should be totally fine stocking-wise.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The pleco might mess with the goldfish though. A while back, one of my friend had a 10 in pleco and he added it to his goldfish pond outside. A few days later, he found the pleco stuck on the goldfish's sides. But the odd thing is that he had a clown pleco with goldfish for years and they are fine... I think the best thing to do is to re-home them.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Swapped the tank tank out for a new 55 gallon with a painted black background. Added some washed safeTsorb and it is a muddy mess. An entire weekend washing this stuff and it appears to have not helped at all. I seriously put in around 7 hours of my own time washing this stuff and it doesn't even show it. I am going to pick up some black diamond tomorrow and get it washed and hopefully I can drain the tank this weekend and swap out the substrate.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Replanted the tank and moved some of the fish up. What do you all think?:icon_mrgr

What plant would be nice for the foreground? I am thinking Brazilian microsword or dwarf sag.

Tank equipment....

55 gallon tank
Aqueon 75 gallon HOB powerfilter
Marineland HOT magnum (running micron filter)
Safe-T-Sorb capped with pool filter sand
2 T-5 (normal output) 48inch coralife fixture 2 6500k bulbs, forgot wattage

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.