The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
somehow i managed to break my glass top. i have a bunch of plexi glass laying around. was wondering what my light will do to the plexi. light sits about 3 inches off of top of tank. the light is a t5 ho with one 6000k lamp and 1 roseate lamp 650 nm. total watts is 78. lights currently are running for 10 hours a day. with what i have is that gonna warp and melt the plexi?? already had 2 suicides. and not wanting more.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Plexiglass/acrylic tends to sag if it's not braced.

If you are good at working with it, you could run some thin strips (~1/2" or so?) perpendicular to the sheet, and that should make it much more rigid, but it might not look real pretty.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The humidity makes it sag. I've still used it, just flip it each time I do a water change, but that's usually on QT or spawning tanks that I don't care about the way they look, because it's not pretty at all.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I use acrylic on all my tanks in fishroom and it does sag a lil. I'm not that worried about it. It is much cheaper, safer, and easier to work with than glass. For me anyways. I had to do alot of customizing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.