The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there ~

My 125 is running a little warmer than I want it, but I would prefer to wait until my next days off (Fri & Sat) to adjust the heater so I can monitor the rate in which the temps drop. All the fish in the tank have an upper range (according to what I've found online) of 80 - 81 degrees. My tank's thermometers are on the opposite end of the tank from the heater - they both read 82 degrees. I'm going to move one of the to the heater's side to see what the temp is there. The fish all act fine, but what long term effects can happen if temps are on the high end for fish? I've turned the heater down once already last month - the temps crept back up tho.

Thanks ~

Y'know, it just dawned on me that my heater - which is behind a foam filter and I won't be relocating it - is on the end of the tank that is within inches of an exterior wall. Being in a mobile home which certainly isn't insulated as well as a house, I bet the heater comes on because of cold radiating through the wall in the winter. A good thing to remember for my next tanks! I can put the heater on the back glass vs. the side glass, and still stay within the foam compartment. That way it's not adjacent to the wall...

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the fish I have in that tank should be good to 80 and 81 degrees, so I'm thinking it's not too bad - I have Buenos Aires Tetras, Columbian Tetras, Black Neon Tetras, Blue Tetras, and Harlequin Rasboras in it. I would like to get the temp to around 79 this weekend. The temperature range for these fish is 70 to 81, should I aim for the middle ground & go even lower than 79? I've heard fish live longer at lower temps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.