The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently put what claimed to be dwarf hairgrass into my 29 gallon newly cycled tank. Now for some reason the tank water smells like onions. Anyone have a clue why this would happen? I'm not overly concerned about the smell itself as it isn't too strong and my water tests all come back normal. Just want to make sure this isn't a sign of some problem.

Thank you

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello, I recently put what claimed to be dwarf hairgrass into my 29 gallon newly cycled tank. Now for some reason the tank water smells like onions. Anyone have a clue why this would happen? I'm not overly concerned about the smell itself as it isn't too strong and my water tests all come back normal. Just want to make sure this isn't a sign of some problem.

Thank you
I've noticed a similar smell that's unique to my planted tank. I don't know if it's the dwarf sagittaria or the water wisteria or several other low-tech plants in there, but now that I'm transplanting prunings into another, previously unplanted tank, the "smell" has transplanted along as well.

I was a bit concerned at first as you were, but my water also tests perfectly and fish are thriving.

Chris

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.