The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If you don't have much of it, it might be better to let your plants out compete it. Is there enough phosphate and nitrate in your tank? Do you have sufficient lighting?
I don't believe I did. Nitrates were at 5. I've got them up to about 15 now. Lighting is a Finnex Stingray. Lighting period is 4 on, 2 off, 4 on.

I always put the zucchini in for otos the night before a scheduled water change; just in case it starts to foul the water I'll be sure to clear some of that out the next day.
I'll do that next time. Probably better than right after a water change. :/

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Okay, I did another dose of my ferts last night. That seems to have gotten my nitrates up to about 15. Assuming I can keep the nitrates up (thanks a lot, wisteria plant), when can I expect the smell to go away? Thanks so much for all your help.

·
Are these real?
15,692 Posts
It usually doesn't work that way. Unlike real algae, cyanobacteria can't be "outcompeted" by plants. Adding NO3 is one factor that will keep them in check and generally reduces the risk of outbreaks. Larger water changes, vacuuming the substrate, added circulation, filter cleanings are other factors. None of that kill BGA. Some say a dark period (blackout) for a few days, or H2O2 treatments help. Not in my experience.
If it doesn't go away, in the end you may have to resort to an erythromycin treatment to get rid of it. Seems like the BGA isn't really taking over (yet), so see how things develop in a couple of weeks from now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've used UltraLife "Blue-Green Slime Stain Remover" in the past to kill it. It's not erythromycin (or so they say) so it doesn't affect your nitrogen cycle, and typically takes only one dose to do it (wait a few days). Amazon sells it.
I've used this stuff as well. That product combined with upping my NO3 and water circulation wiped out my blue green algae.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I know that we don't use much carbon in plant tank but this may be a time to do it. Carbon would get rid of the smell but not the problem. Are sure nothing died in the tank?

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
I don't think the zuke is part of the problem but just a bystander!
Keeping zuke handy for the fish is one way to reduce the damage by plecos. I don't bother to peel it but just weight it down.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You may not see much BGA in your tank, but it also lives in the substrate along the exposed glass edges. It's tough to get rid of without meds. Good cleaning and manual removal will eventually work. Keep harassing it and you will win the battle. You could also try a 3 day blackout after a good cleaning.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts