The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the smallest or should I say lest expensive tank size with a 24 inch width from front to back?

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Joe, we had a similar discussion a while back and many find even a 48x24x24 too square or box looking, while a 60x24x24 and beyond had that panoramic look that give you both eyefuls while enjoying your tanks view. So if you are on a budget, you might do better with a 65g 48x18x17 ( or 75g 48x18x20 )which gives you more planting space while maintaining that wide panorama perspective most prefer when looking at your tank. that 65g size also benefits from a standard 48" length, and the low height helps your lights penetrate down to your plants a little better. if you have some cabinet that is >24" deep, you can always pull the tank forward and mirror back the cabinet (keep the tank clear back), thus increasing depth perception. If you look at my 29g you'll see how a mirror back cabinet adds depth even to a 12" deep tank.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ed

I don't see that 90 gallon configuration listed in either AGA or oceanics sites. Is it still a standard size aquarium? I actually think have seen a 90 like you have at my LFS as one of their holding/display tanks. I will have to go measure it now.

Lou

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spypet
Thanks and yes I am on a budget. I wonder if adding just another 6 inches (front to back) would add enough room for planting etc or would I still want more room? Of course I think we all want a bigger tank than the one we have. :icon_roll

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Pretty sure All Glass quit offering the 90 gallon 3'x2'x2' when they bought Oceanic and such. Which is a shame. Its a great size for aquascaping. It seems the Europeans, who have been aquascaping for a LONG time, prefer the 20" deep as a standard starting depth, a couple inches deeper than our standard 18". I really wish AGA/Oceanic and the few other American manufacturers could get out of the foot and a half mindset.

Regards 60" tanks. Nice length for sure with a 24" deep tank, but good luck finding much variety in lighting options.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I have a few 40 breeders - 24" x 36" x I think 18" deep (don't quote me). I believe a 50 gallon is 20" deep and a 65 is 24" deep. I actually own all those sizes, but the 50 and 65 are currently housing snakes. :hihi:

40 breeders are a fantastic size to work with though, if you can find them!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts