The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have an old 55g tank that I want to get going but my only problem here is that it sat outside for about a year. I live in Southern California so it didn't get too much exposure to the elements but it did get plenty of sun and the silicone at the top is kind of whitening.. is this no good, will I need a new tank?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I'm running a 60 at my shop that sat out for a couple of years. The trim took the worst of it but so far no leaks.

It's in my back shop that I've flooded several times with 200+ gallons of SW or RO/DI so YMMV. lol

·
Registered
142 Posts
Put it on a stand outside and fill it from a hose, make sure it doesn't leak. If it does, you can repair the tank, but that can be a lot of work.
If you don't have a stand you can use outside, just set it down on several layers of newspaper in your garage or on the porch. Fill it carefully without wetting the newspaper. Let it sit overnight. If the newspaper is dry in the morning, you know it's not leaking.

Julia

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.